October 2014

October 2014
Day Trip to Oakridge Oct 2014

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Little Dogs on the Prairie and LOTS of Balls

We visited Meadowlark Prairie with the dogs.  It is an urban setting that was restored from agricultural land to its original prairie and wetlands habitat in the 1990s.  It’s a popular area for walking, biking, wildlife viewing and picnicking.  The paved path encircles the 404 acre site.  Needless to say, we have not yet made it all the way around!!  Maybe someday, but we are going a bit farther every time we come.  It’s another great place for dog walking and there are places you can go down into the prairie area off the paved pathway. 

P1050773

We came across this beautiful Northwestern Ringneck Snake along the path.
P1050780

Apparently they are rarely seen, preferring to move about after dark.  I thought this one was dead at first but when I touched it, it moved.  I thought it was enjoying some sun but after looking more closely at the pictures, I wonder if it was injured.
P1050781a

There were many ducks, geese and other water fowl in the wetlands area of the prairie.  This duck seems to have found a nice resting place.
P1050778

There were hundreds of geese gathered in a field across the road.  The wind was blowing towards the dogs from this field and they stood for the longest time just sniffing the scent of geese.  Didn’t bark or try to move – just figuring out the scent.

This is the view from one end of the prairie.
P1050782

This is even closer to our house than the lake is so we have a couple of great exercise areas with 15 minutes or less.

The weather has been wonderful the last couple of days so we have spent a lot of time in the backyard with the dogs.  They love to play ball and get super excited when I approach their bucket of balls.  I am trying to teach them to calm down so as soon as they start barking, I move away from the balls.  When they stop barking I move closer.  In the following video, Ollie throws quite a temper tantrum when he doesn’t get his balls right away.  Jewel catches on and quiets down pretty quickly.  This was yesterday and it took maybe 5 minutes of barking before they settled down.  Today went much quicker – just a couple of minutes.  Then they sat quietly while I got the balls.  Turn your speakers down or OFF so you don’t hear all the barking!!
)

Russ took all video and no stills of this session so I snagged a couple of shots from the video. The quality is not great since these photos are from the video footage, but you can see how Jewel likes to jump and catch.   Ollie loves to run flat out as fast as he can to chase the balls.  Jewel does not want to chase – she wants to turn somersaults and catch the balls.  So I throw one long for Ollie and then toss one to Jewel for catching.  Woe be to me if I don’t take turns and make sure they each get the same number of balls!!

jewel catch1

jewel2

Look how that right leg is way up there!
jewel4

jewel5

jewel6

Catch ya later!!

18 comments:

  1. When we first started playing ball with the dogs in the back yard, they both would run after the balls, but Ollie would always beat Jewel and get it. After while, she decided that she couldn't ever beat him, so she started hanging out closer in and wanted to jump and catch them. That's pretty much the way they want to do it now. Ollie loves to run, and Jewel loves to jump.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, your family is certainly complete now that you've added the pups! They have the best home ever with you two.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a couple of cuties. Don't let the pro baseball leagues see that video. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You touched the snake! Egads...You won't catch me doing that in this lifetime.
    I think there is definitely a difference between the female and male. Female...calm; male...crazy...hehe

    ReplyDelete
  5. With the two additions your life has suddenly become a walk in the park. By the way, who gets to pick up the balls?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I second that EW! You touched the snake! You're brave! The pups are very athletic--they're having a lot of fun out there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, they are adorable…what a life they have. That’s the best way to tire them out. Reminds me of Jack when he was young…he would do back flips to catch a ball. Rich could throw the highest of fly balls and he’d position himself so he’d be able to catch it—great outfielder. I’m glad I have some movies of it only it’s on an old video cam. Poor Lizzie, I could be a foot away from her and underhand a ball very easily to her and it would hit her on the nose. Such a girl. Looks like you have two atheletes in the house! Glad you’re having so much fun with them.

    You have such great places near you for them to walk. That’s how life should be fore a dog. I’m so thankful we have the Nature Center, but other than that it’s cement and cars. Hate it. Looks like Mother Nature has sent Spring to Oregon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm going to triple "eww" that snake touching thing. Ick!!! That video is just wonderful. Our girls would rather sniff than chase. Sometimes I don't think Skitz can even see what we're tossing. What a work out the pups are getting. They will really be in good shape before too long with all the balls and walks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What energy! You two don't have to worry about not getting enough exercise with these too "energizer fullkids" around!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice that you have that great and seemingly level place to walk and also to walk the dogs...nature is great. I don;t know who had the most ya''ll or the dogs! Loved the video..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Paulette would still be running and screaming if she even saw that snake let alone touched it.

    Those pups are sure lucky to have found you and Russ!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would only have touched that snake with a very big stick!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are good parents to those dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That was a pretty snake. Maybe it was just warming itself and wasn't injured. I hope so, anyways.

    Love the video of the dogs and I left the sound ON. No good dog play video is complete without some barking. I love the way Jewell jumps. I hope she doesn't hurt herself the way she flips around.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You touched a snake, is that a song

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those pups are just SO DARN CUTE! :-)
    Cheryl Ann

    ReplyDelete