Irving Elementary School houses grades 1-5 and is composed of 7 separate buildings. Five of the buildings are round which makes for an interesting design. All the buildings are connected by covered walkways and each building is surrounded by covered sidewalks.
A walk around each of those buildings gives us and the dogs a good workout and the bonus is we stay dry. When the weather is nice, we can enjoy the large grass covered field. Rusty and Poppy used to run off-leash here sometimes but we won’t let the current kids off leash at all.
Did you see the pretty pink trees in the background? Spring is certainly on its way here. The school yard and play
It’s nice to have this park like setting right in our own back yard. Oh sure, we get a few balls over the fence from time to time, but the benefits certainly outweigh the negatives. And just in case anyone was just dying to see the back of our house from the school yard – here it is!!!
That’s a whole lot of fence to keep up with but it sure is nice in the summer to have the yard and the school right next door. And that’s why I say, it’s nice to go to school!
Are those buildings being used? Are the kids on spring break? I know back in Ohio the schools would not allow anyone to be walking on the property while the school was in session.
ReplyDeleteDarling photo of the kids.
The school grounds are open to the public when school is not in session. That includes during the school year after school is out at 2:30. I think it's that way with all schools in Oregon. Since they are taxpayer supported, then the taxpayers can use the property. The only bad thing is it also seems to be the gathering place on the 4th of July (and the weeks leading up to it!). It is fireworks central for the entire neighborhood and since the parking lot is close to our bedroom, it's not much fun.
DeleteHow cool is that. A covered walkway and close by.
ReplyDeleteWhat I noticed was what looked like a hop scotch thatch behind Russ in the second picture. How nice to have some open green space close by.
ReplyDeleteNice to see that green grass after all that strange white stuff you had!
ReplyDeleteI like green better than white!!
DeleteI noticed the hop scotch layout too and just assumed that Russ had just finished the course.
ReplyDeleteThat would be something to see!!
Deletenice to have the covered walkway when it rains. even though taxpayer funded as ours are surprised the lawyers allow it because of some unforseen accident that someone could sue for.
ReplyDeleteI agree, it's nice to have a covered place to walk during the rain, especially a place where you can take the dogs. Schoolyards are a favorite of mine, but alas, most of the ones up our way are not covered.
ReplyDeleteLove those pink trees... redbuds? crab apple? whatever, they are beautiful!
ReplyDeleteGreat place to walk the dogs whether it's sunny or raining. I thought at first the pups were taking Russ to obedience school.
ReplyDeleteThat really is a perfect place. While poor Jack doesn't get walked in the rain any more, when I walked him I put on a full rain suit and off we'd go. We always enjoyed the walks and the rain seemed to make Jack extra frisky. The fun started when we got home. I'd leave a towel under the porch roof to dry him, but no matter how I tried, the inevitable shaking would soak everything. And, it was twice the soak when the water dog, Lizzie, was with us. I'm glad I don't have houses in back of me, either. Nice to have the privacy though I have woods, not lush grass like you have.
ReplyDeleteWhat beautiful green - and I love the pink trees! It's nice to have a nice place to walk. Maybe someday you'll be able to let the new kids off leash too!
ReplyDeleteCandy