October 2014

October 2014
Day Trip to Oakridge Oct 2014

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

IKEA and the Columbia River

We have passed the Portland IKEA store many times through the years but have never been inside.  We decided to change that today.   Went online and signed up for their free membership program and scored a free cup of coffee at the restaurant.

We thought the store was interesting, with enough furniture and doo-dads to make anyone happy, but I didn’t like being trapped in the maze.  Their aisles are laid out in a one-way configuration, designed to make you walk the entire perimeter of the floor, thereby increasing the chance that you might see something you just can't live without.  We found ourselves swimming upstream as we tried to find our way out of the maze…

We had heard good things about the restaurant so decided to give that a try.  It is cafeteria style and it was VERY busy today.  We saw this offering while we waited in line but opted for the bacon cheeseburger instead.
P1040306

It was a tasty burger and the fries were nice and crisp but I don’t think I would go back.  IKEA seems very focused on the younger crowd and that is certainly what we found there today.  Nothing wrong with that…just not our cup of tea.  If you have a screaming toddler or a fussy infant, then you probably don’t notice all the OTHER screaming toddlers and fussy infants…however when you don’t have said baggage in tow, the noise is deafening.  OOOPS, my inner curmudgeon is showing LOL!!  Did parents always allow their toddlers to scream (you know that high pitched, piercing shriek) at the top of their lungs or am I just getting old? (don’t answer that!!)

Before our trip to IKEA we drove along Marine Drive which follows the Columbia River.  Oregon on one side, Washington on the other side of the river.  It’s a fun drive and we came upon a park we had not seen before.  It looks like it is new or newly renovated and is a great spot for boat launching or just hanging out on the beach.  Lots of parking for cars and boats, and a new restroom facility.
P1040288


There is a wheel chair ramp down to the beach so those that may not be able to walk can at least get close to the water.  The beach is wide and sandy and we saw lots of evidence of beach fires. 
P1040289


There was a big tractor thingy that had apparently been doing some beach grooming.  Lotta sand here!!
P1040291


The website for this boat ramp calls this wall “a wave and debris deflection system that allows for efficient fish passage.”  Not sure how it helps the fish but it seems to help break the waves for the boat ramps and it looks nice too. 
P1040294


P1040298


It was a beautiful day on the Columbia and quite a few folks were out enjoying the water, everything from kayaks to big fishing boats.
P1040297


Across the road from this spot is theP1040293 Portland airport, so if you get bored with the beach, you can watch the planes come and go.  Yeah, they’re loud, but I like to see them take off and land.  We saw some military jets doing maneuvers today – they can sure fly in tight formation.   That’s just a passenger jet in the picture.



We had a fun day and are headed home tomorrow.  We had planned to stay in the area longer but need to go home and check on the sprinkler repair and a few other items.  We’ll head back out later in the week for Fort Stevens. 

16 comments:

  1. Once again, life intervenes with your travel plans! ;( We'll have to see if we can find that new park that you spotted. We occasionally rode our bikes on the bike path over there, but we got frustrated by the lack of parking and restrooms. This new park seems to offer both.

    We've learned some tricks about shopping at IKEA. We generally enter through the exit (at the snack bar) and that usually saves some time. They also have maps of the more straightforward path to the exit, which we take advantage of, unless we want to walk the whole store, which we usually don't. I've never eaten their cheeseburgers, but I do like their meatballs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure that our toddlers were perfect in public and never cried or acted out and that's probably why we are so sensitive to others toddlers when they act up...or maybe age has dulled the memory.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny, all those trips to IKEA (mostly in the Netherlands and Vienna) and I didn't know there was a membership plan. Oh well.
    I went to the one here in Burlington just last week for some of their huge-assed serviettes (you call them napkins, but my wife is too old for 'napkins', whatever)
    I don't "do the maze". I've learned to go in through the check-outs and take a short cut to where I want to be.
    Curious that you mention the spoiled little buggers. There was one in the next aisle from me when I was leaving. There's ALWAYS a line up. The IKEAs are the same all over in that respect.
    I mentioned to the gentleman behind me that the young feller was, "Lucky. Lucky he's not my kid." and he gave me a knowing nod.

    ReplyDelete
  4. IKEA was never my kind of place even years ago when I was younger. And I have really no tolerance for screaming children any longer. And when did screaming become so acceptable. Teenagers (especially the girls) all squeal about everything and very loudly. Can you tell there was a tableful at dinner tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now you're in what "used" to be my stomping grounds. We used to live on that hill behind you. I used to watch those planes come in and take off at the Portland airport always wondering where they were going. I loved the planes. Maybe that's why I now love the smell of jet fuel ... especially have retired from airline.

    I remember when we lived in Dallas and the first IKEA came in. Everyone was excited. They have unique things but we've never bought much from them. We just looked.

    The screaming kids ? I don't think in our era most would have tolerated it. Now we have all these books telling the parents how to raise their kids.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the heads up on IKEA. Doesn't sound like our kind of place to shop. Screaming toddlers...not my kind of way to spend the day!

    Hope the sprinklers are all repaired!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The only time you saw my children shrieking in public was as I was hauling them out of the store for misbehaving..... then it was a long time before they ever got to come in again. It has been ages since I have been in an Ikea. I would love to look at all the space saving gadgets for the trailer. Sounds like you had fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. rainy days and Sundays and we are Ikea bound..We call it the 'Danish Walmart'!
    but I think I would prefer the park you went to today!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Had to laugh about your irritation at hearing screaming children in IKEA. I think since I retired I am less tolerant of this situation. It has even affected my desire to stay in state parks where I often wake up to such sounds. Maybe it is an Oregon phenomenon in the summer.

    Glad to see you included a trip to some more natural surroundings at Jantzen Beach. Hope all is well with the sprinkler repair back at home.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We love IKEA. We do all our shopping at the one in Houston. We have purchased many items there. I wish I would have known you were going, their Swedish meatballs are delicious. We get it every time we visit.

    Looks like a lovely day. So peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been trapped in the maze a few time myself - and it works. I've found things I just couldn't live without. The nearest IKEA here is quite a few miles away though and I'm not sure the Swedish meatballs are worth making the trip for. Have a safe trip home and I'll be looking forward to more pics!
    Candy

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've only been to an IKEA store a few times and I don't believe I've ever bought anything. It's a fun place to just walk around though.

    Screaming kids? Seems to me that they've been around as long as parents.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like IKEA a lot, but mainly for the Swedish products (mostly food that I can't get any where else). I stock up! I always check their " As Is". I also find the short cuts to avoid the the maze.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Don't like the maze but I guess it it their way of keeping you shopping, successfully for most. Haven't been in one for about 12 years now and I think I will just stay away.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks like you had quite a day.

    ReplyDelete