The picture above was taken today on one of our walks at a boat ramp near Harrisburg, OR. It’s Poppy among the poppies (or buttercups!!).
One of the things Poppy does for us is get us moving! Even at her age and being almost totally blind and deaf, she insists on a ride every day. Trust me, you don’t want to deny Poppy her ride – she doesn’t give up easily! And of course rides always involves stops and that means a walk so everybody wins.
When we ride, we always have a camera or two (or three!!) on hand and we have captured some pretty cool shots on our travels. We have also put up some feeders in our back yard and are getting some great shots of the birds and the bees right here at home.
This bee was really enjoying the lupine in my Fairy Garden.
I love how colorful these insects are.
We’ve had some colorful birds come around too. Just watching them and hearing their song makes me happy.
A Eurasian Collared Dove scavenges for seed on the ground in our back yard. I sure enjoy the call of the dove.
A female American Goldfinch enjoys the nyjer seed in the stocking feeder.
The males patiently waits his turn in a nearby cedar tree.
Male house sparrow
And of course those ubiquitous starlings are EVERYWHERE. Does anyone know how to discourage starlings??
This was not in our backyard but we enjoyed capturing a Northern Flicker at Armitage Park.
Russ got a good shot of an osprey sitting atop a utility pole today.
And guess what we saw right here in Eugene? We just closed our eyes and pretended we were in Yellowstone National Park!!
So you see, you really don’t have to go very far to see wonderful sights and hear pleasing sounds. We have driven on roads that we have never been on before, seen things that are totally new to us, and had experiences we might have missed had we been on the road. We still want to travel again when we are able but until then, there is no reason to sit home and mope just because we can’t make a big trip right now. Beauty and adventure are where you look for those things and sometimes you don’t have to look any further than your own back yard!
It's great that you are exploring and enjoying what is nearby. When we are busy with jobs and life, vacations seem to revolve around going somewhere far away. But sometimes we miss those special places close to home.
ReplyDeleteAs you know from past experience you will know when Poppy's time has come, but it is always such a difficult decision to make. Hang in there.
No, no one in the world knows how to control starlings! We had seed bags for finches for a while, but we got so many of those American finches we had to take the bags down. They were taking far too much of our budget and were distracting. We couldn't see the occasional silver cardinal or the cactus wrens. Now we have a balanced blend of birds coming around for a handout, even a stray Northern Cardinal!
ReplyDeleteIt has always amazed me in my travels how many of the locals have no idea what is right in their area. I was just as guilty, growing up three blocks from the Mark Twain Boyhood home I thought it was where we sent the visiting relatives to get rid of them for a few hours. More power to you for smelling the roses.
ReplyDeleteQuite the strange looking bird you found in Eugene. I assume his buffalo wings have been clipped? :cD
ReplyDeleteYes, and they were delicious!!
DeleteIt is amazing how much you can find in your own backyard. There certainly are a lot of things to do and see in the Pacific NW.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful pictures, and luv the one of Poppy among the Poppies. We are hoping to spend a few days exploring in your area on our way north,sometime in the next couple of weeks. We sure have lot's in our bucket, thanks to your posts. Hope you, Russ, and Poppy have an AWESOME Memorial Day weekend!
ReplyDeleteDonna and Russ, I am so glad to hear that Poppy still enjoys her rides in the car. Great pictures, as usual!
ReplyDeleteWhat a joy to see the smile on Poppy's face in these photos! You both are certainly a blessing to her, giving her as much enjoyment as she is able to handle in these sunset years of her life. Hope you three have a wonderful holiday weekend cherishing your time together! Maggie sends a gentle "woof" to Poppy!
ReplyDeleteHow true about exploring your own "backyard." I read many posts about Oregon and realize I have much to see in the state where I lived for 30 years!
ReplyDeleteLove the photos of Poppy and the bumblebee in mid-air--gorgeous.
Poppy is so beautiful. Isn't wonderful how they can make us humans understand what they want. Scooter wants to hunt all the time which means that Jim gets out walking with her. She's getting too old to move very fast so that works. I think Poppy has really helped you guys find wonderful places to explore close to home. So many places to see and enjoy. Sounds like you might be stuck with your starlings from what others are saying.
ReplyDeleteLove the happy face on Poppy & the field of flowers. I'd print & frame that one! Did you know that Starlings can talk? Go to youtube & put in WeeWoo & you'll find vids of him talking!
ReplyDeleteLots of cool pics today you got there :)
What a pretty header.
ReplyDeleteI love the Goldfinch. We have them in our backyard. They are so bright and colorful.
Looks like you caught the bee with its pollen sacs full... but I still don't know what kind of bee it is. But I love all your photos... especially Poppy among the poppies ;-)
ReplyDeleteMy internet has been down for the past few days so I'm just catching up.
ReplyDeleteIt breaks my heart to hear about Poppy. We know it's coming when dogs reach a certain age, but that doesn't seem to be much consolation. You have given Poppy such a happy life, especially given the start she got. I think it's great that you are doing all the things that Poppy enjoys so that her last days will be fond memories for you.
The one thing I told myself when I had to take my Lizzie when it was time was that she wasn't worried about going, and she was not afraid. As difficult as it was to do, and as much grieving as I did, I have always consoled myself that the cancer didn't get to a point where it caused her pain. I loved her with all my heart as I love my Jack who is aging, now, too. The one last good thing I could do for her was to know when to let go. You will know, too.
Russ and Donna, you have always been ones to know the right thing to say in my times of sadness. I wish I could find the right words, through my tears, for you. Anyone who knows you through your blogs knows how much your pups mean to you; and what wonderful lives they've had. I'd like to think that Poppy, when it's time, will find Rusty waiting with wagging tail for his trusty companion.
Hugs and kisses to a pup I've never known except through the eyes of the humans who love her so very much. My thoughts are with you both as you help Poppy enjoy her days and an easy journey.
So very true! Love your pics! Judy
ReplyDeleteSo very true! Love your pics! Judy
ReplyDeleteThere is definitely a lot of beauty right there in Eugene and surrounding areas. Love the bird shots and, of course, dear Poppy. I had just mentioned the Eugene Farmer's Market in another blog. Now that would be a photo op!
ReplyDeleteSome of those birds I've never seen. Looking forward to that when we finally get to the NW next year.
ReplyDeletePoppy must take after her parents who also like the travel from what I read.
Really like the osprey picture!
ReplyDeleteGlad to see Poppy is hanging in there with some great owners. It's always a very tough decision to make when deciding when it's time to put an old friend down.
ReplyDeleteUnbelievable photos - especially the bee!
ReplyDeleteCandy
No matter if you are traveling long distances or short it is what you see and enjoy is what counts.
ReplyDelete