The bond between man (human!) and dog goes back for centuries but our particular bond with this pooch goes back relatively few years to May 2, 2000. She was already 3 years old and had been abandoned in her back yard when her people (I use the term loosely) moved and didn’t take her with them. A neighbor brought her
She’s gone from a fine young lady…
…to an elegant, if somewhat chunky, old lady.
Along the way Poppy has taught us many lessons, but mostly since she has become old, mostly blind, almost deaf, and just a little senile.
She has taught us that although our
Poppy has taught us to take pleasure in the small things. She cannot see much, she cannot hear much, and she is also losing her sense of smell, but she still takes time to stop and smell the roses….or whatever entices her with savory wonders.
We have learned from Poppy, that no matter how bad things are, there is always something to be happy about, even if it is just being close to the ones she loves.
We almost lost Poppy today. She has been so filled with anxiety lately and has been having a LOT of trouble at night. This means we also have trouble at night and have been getting very little sleep. I don’t think we have had a full night’s sleep since last December. Poppy has taken several falls and has walked into objects in the yard that she has not seen or sensed in time. She managed to get herself locked in the bathroom one night last week. Thankfully, we always get up at night to check on her if she doesn’t wake us to go out, so she was not in there all night long. We called the mobile vet over the weekend and made an appointment for her to come and attend to Poppy’s final needs at 3:15 today. We had even arranged for the cremation people to pick up Poppy’s remains. But when we got up this morning, we found we just couldn’t do it. We asked the vet to come by for a consultation and cancelled the cremation pick-up.
Some may think we are cruel or just plain foolish to hang onto a dog this long. The vet examined her and found that other than her hip, Poppy is probably not in a lot of physical pain. Most of Poppy’s pain comes from the twice daily insulin injections, the blood sugar testing, the pain of loss of her senses, and the mental pain she suffers at night. With that in mind, we are going to try and adjust her medications and see if we can get her some relief. The vet did say we are not premature in thinking about Poppy’s passing and that if it were her dog, she would probably put her down.
I don’t know how long Poppy has left. It may be a few days or a few weeks. We will let her tell us in her own way when she can no longer go on. She has certainly lived a good long time and has had the best life that any pooch could have. We feel better having talked to the vet and planned how to take that next step when the time comes. In the meantime, we will cherish every moment and hopefully continue to learn all the lessons that we can from our brave and wonderful girl.
“SO THERE”
awh, Good for you! You know her best.You are truly her best friend.
ReplyDeleteIf we love our animals, we all face this time. It is hard. We waited to long for one and were a bit to quick for te other. It is hard to know the right time.
ReplyDeleteWhat wonderful caregivers Poppy has, my best to all three of you.
ReplyDeleteWhat a heart warming tribute to your best friend. I just wish it didn't hurt so bad. We love you Poppy.
ReplyDeletePoppy has a great life with two people who love her unconditionally..you will know when the time is right and until then just cherish the time you have with her, even if it is in the middle of the night..hugs to you both and big pat on the head for sweet Poppy.
ReplyDelete:*)
I smiled and I cried. It reminded me so much of my beloved Duke aka my doodlebug. He never showed sny pain or discomfort, was always my buddy. Noticed one morning he was limping, thought he had slipped on the ice on the patio. Told my son to watch him and massage his leg. He called me at work he was taking Duke to vet, turned out he had bone cancer and his body was riddled with it. So he had it for a long time and never showed anything. He was 14 and very old for a large 100 lb dog. Told vet to send him home, but vet said that wasnt a good idea, he no bone left in his leg and was in pain. I was so torn, I wanted to believe in my heart the vet was wrong...but I had to do what was right for him. Hardest thing I have ever done. Isnt a dogs spirit wonderful. Poppy knows how much you love him and is following your example of loving life and making the most of it in a bad time
ReplyDeleteYour friend Donna W
No dog could have had a better home. You'll know when it's time, she'll tell you. Our Maggie did, she just told us 'I've had enough, I'm done'. You know that you've done everything within your power to help her, love her and support her. As the saying goes 'Dogs aren't my whole life, but they make my life whole'.
ReplyDeleteMy heart goes out to all three of you. Back in Texas With my cat Snookums, I had a similar conversation my vet. My vet asked me, "Does she have the quality of life you want for her?" I spent time with Snookie, talking with her, loving her, then called the vet back and made the appointment. Following her peaceful last breath, her transition - physical and spiritual - was so beautiful. She looked years younger and . . . free. With my dog Baby, prior to Maggie, I knew she was telling me. Even more difficult than the decision with Snookie, it was one I had to make. You can read about Baby's passing and snapshots of her life at http://phoenixonceagain.blogspot.com/2012/04/april-2-2012-b-is-for-baby.html You'll know when it's time; Poppy will tell you and you will hear her. Gentle hugs to you all!
ReplyDeleteSo hard to go through... they give so much and ask so little. You'll know when the time comes. Sending you love and hugs.
ReplyDeleteMy heart hurts for you. Sending {{{hugs}}}
ReplyDeleteYou guys have had a wonderful time with Poppy, your wonderful friend. Now it's tough decision time for you. So many of us have had to go through similar decisions; we can hold your hands in Blogland and wish you proper timing for the painful choice. Hugs from the LeRoys, virtual hugs today, real ones in a few weeks.
ReplyDeleteI love your sweet baby. I love you guys for loving her. I too have an ol lady. She is 13 and acts like a kid. The vet says she has heart disease and put her on three doggy meds. Hey, whatever it takes, right?
ReplyDeleteBeautiful tribute to Poppy. What a great life she has shared with you both.
ReplyDeleteI can tell you both worship Poppy - and that's the way it should be. I can't tell you how much of a difference my terrier-mix Cali has made in my life. She's eleven now and I love her so much...
ReplyDeleteSuch a difficult, difficult decision to have to make. We've faced the same choice ourselves too many times as far as I'm concerned and it's both heart and gut wrenching.
ReplyDeleteI know you and Russ love Poppy and have provided her with a wonderful, loving family and home. That's all we can do and probably more than even Poppy expected.
In times like this, I've always listened for the 'dog whispers' of the vet to make sure I'm not putting my own interests and wants ahead of the welfare of my beloved dogs.
I'm sure both you and Russ will know when the time is right for both Poppy and you. Best wishes.
What a beautiful tribute to Poppy. She has indeed enjoyed a great life in your care and I do believe she will let you know when it's time to say goodbye.
ReplyDeleteOh, my goodness, you had me bawling here.... what a wonderful tribute to Poppy.. I hope I can be as thoughtful & compassionate when the time comes for us...but I can't even begin to think of that now... they love us so, no matter what..i get short tempered wondering what exactly Luci wants at times.. you have made me stop to cherish what is now..... thank you...
ReplyDeleteIt must be a VERY HUGE decision to have to make. I am sure Poppy will tell you when. That was a beautiful tribute to Poppy.
ReplyDeleteYou will know when the time is upon you. You did before. You will again. As you know there is never a good time to say good-bye. So go about enjoying the time you have left with sweet Poppy. They have so may lessons to teach us if we listen. I can tell you are listening with your heart!
ReplyDeleteWe have walked in your shoes. When are Sheba began to lose control of her bladder, Paul took her to the vet. When Paul returned home, Sheba was not running towards the house. The vet and Paul had decided it was time for Sheba to move on. It was very emotional for the next week. We both felt that right thing.
ReplyDeleteThis is a personal decision. What ever you to decide we in blogland must respect.
Prayers and lots of love coming your way. Don't let anyone pressure you into doing what you feel comfortable with.
We feel your pain and love for Poppy, as we are going through the same thing with my husband's yellow lab guide dog Rusty. He is 100 pounds of sweetness and loyalty--never complains, always happy. But he's going downhill and a few weeks ago we thought we were losing him for sure. The vet has put him on kind of a doggy "hospice" care, no more immunizations or tests, but keep him comfortable and as long as he still has happiness in his days, he is with us. Two antibiotics and a tapering regimen of prednisone gave him some extra "happy" time after a few weeks where he was clearly about ready to go--seeing him perk back up made it even more obvious how close to the end he was. So each day is one to be cherished--and when he goes back down to where he was again, it may be time. The vet figures no more than five months or less. We have four dogs--and love them all so very much--Rusty the guide dog and 3 rescues, two from Mexico and one that was dumped in the S. California desert. They bring us happiness every day--and challenges too, especially regarding how to travel with all of them! Our very best to you and Poppy--may your remaining days be filled with love. Blessings to you from Arizona.
ReplyDeleteYour friends here have gone through the same agony as you. We well know your feelings and wanting to do what's right. You will. HUGS.
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful tribute to Poppy, I'm sure she is happy that Russ walked into the shelter that day and that she found her true home.
ReplyDeleteI got your message Donna! Thanks so much for writing and the cyber hug--small world isn't it? Take care.
ReplyDeleteWow! 16! She really is a grand old lady. You're so right - we can learn a lot from our non-human friends.
ReplyDeleteBless her sweet heart! Such unconditional love...on both sides.
ReplyDeleteWonderful post about Poppy. She is still a beautiful girl, isn't she? It's good that you and Russ are thinking about the future, it won't be easy and you'll miss her, for sure, but at least you are getting mentally ready. I believe our pets will be in heaven waiting for us, so that helps me when the time comes for my pets to leave.
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful set of memories about Poppy. Such a gorgeous doggie! I don't envy the choices you are having to make right now. I've been there and it is never an easy or painless choice. Our thoughts are with you...and with Poppy!
ReplyDeleteNina
It is difficult to do. With my cat last year, I would hold her and tell her to go to sleep. But in the end all of a sudden one morning I knew it was time. Hugs to you guys, great post of photos.
ReplyDeleteYou know Poppy best ... Poppy knows herself best ... she will tell you when the time is right.
ReplyDeleteSuch a difficult choice for you. Take care! Judy & John
ReplyDeleteBeing there so many times myself, I know how it is. She will let you know when it's time. I lost Bravo, one of my salukis in Nov last year. I can't let a day go by without thinking of him. Yesterday, 6 months later, he finally paid a visit to me in a dream! I love him so much & miss him so much. I consider those dreams as gifts. My love & hugs to Poppy, what a wonderful way of sharing her with us. As you know, I adore her without having ever met her. :-)
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful tribute to Poppy! She is such a beautiful lady and blessed to have such wonderful and loving parents! Yes, we can learn so much from our pets-they adjust to whatever life gives them and they do with with so much grace. Our sweet Killer is our life-he's our traveling companion and my best friend. He is experiencing some problems with his back now and I'm praying that he can fully recover. It's so hard because they can't "tell" us when they need help. I knew from the first post I read that you and Russ were the kind of folks I wanted to know. I've always equated dogs with the bible verse that says "insomuch as ye do it to the least of these, ye do it unto me". I've never understood how some so-called humans hurt them...but that's another story. I'm so thankful for my sweet Killer and that he chose us to be his parents. I don't know his story before he came to us but we've tried to make him as happy as he has made us. I pray that God will give you both the strength to keep doing whatever it is you both need to do for and with Poppy. It was a great day when Russ walked into that shelter! It sounds like y'all have given Poppy as much as Poppy has given y'all. That's all any of us could ever ask for. Prayers for you three! Love you all!
ReplyDelete