So this is how it looked when we started:
This is how it looks now – not quite finished but it’s a good start.
We are doing things differently this year by utilizing planters instead of putting so many annuals in the ground. That way I can spread Preen around the perennials and it should cut down on the weeding. Should have some good color there in a couple of weeks.
The peonies showed us a lot of love for about a week, but the relationship didn’t last. Fickle flowers that they are, they moved on rather rapidly.
Got some hanging baskets up too and we’re enjoying them.
Sometimes I wish that I could just move to a small apartment and let someone else do all the yard work, but when the work is over, and I can sit outside in the cool of the evening and enjoy the colors and fragrances of the flowers, I know this is where I should be.
At one time, I thought I wanted to be a full-timer and travel from one end of the country to the other. Thank goodness, our house did not sell when we were thinking that way because I know now it’s not for me. I have to have a bit of dirt and a few walls to call my own. I so admire people who have taken that plunge to full-time RVing and are enjoying that life. I sure enjoy reading their wonderful blogs.
I think the important thing is to be true to yourself. Sometimes the dream is different from the reality and it’s important to make that distinction. In life there is no “one size fits all” – what we have to do is find the size that fits us.
We are going to try again to make a short trip with Poppy, this time in the car. We have rented a house at Sunriver, a resort community in central Oregon. We’re hoping that with a little more space, Poppy will be able to relax a bit more. She had a worse night than usual last night so I hope we aren’t making a mistake. No refunds!! Her vision is pretty much limited to lights and shadows so we are careful to keep things in their place so she can navigate in the house. After she walked into a boat trailer at the boat landing the other day, we have decided no more off leash. We are her guide humans now and will try and keep her safe from all those scary obstacles out there. ♥
When we experimented with Full Time my first melt down was missing my friends and Church. Now like you ... realising that things didn't work out I am glad. I need a house and garden. Not that I'm a mad keen gardener but we muddle along. I wish I was more settled though. I still expect to sell this house in the next year or so but not sure when. We need to sell Mum's place before we make more permanent plans for ourselves.
ReplyDeleteIn all the years we have been married I have never lived in the location I dream of. It's still something I look forward to and in the meantime I've managed somehow to make home where we are even when not my choice.
Love your fairy garden. What fun it will be for the young at heart.
Blessings
Russ belongs with the other Angels in the Fairy Garden. He blends in rather nicely.
ReplyDeleteYep, I agree, you never know exactly what makes you happy until you open yourself up to the possibilities. You have received a rare gift in knowing what is the best for you. Hoping that Poppy does ok on you little trip. I'll hold up kind canine and human seeing eye thoughts!!
ReplyDeleteMy parents have always had the same kind of yard, lots of statues, many small flowering trees and flowers, a few fruit trees, paths, signs, etc. They move into a house and totally re-do the yard until they are happy with it, and then happily tended it. They can't do it now, but sure enjoyed many years of gardening. Your post brought back memories. We always had Easter there, with great Easter egg hunts for the kids in the hard. It was always in bloom at Easter.
ReplyDeleteThe gardens love fabulous. I love to be surrounded by flowers...no matter what kind. They bring joy and cheer into my life. Your hanging baskets are lovely!
ReplyDeleteI am sure Poppy thanks you for keeping her on a leash. I am again sure she does not relish walking into anything.
Your gardens look so nice! Well done! Hope you all (including Poppy) enjoy your holiday.
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad Poppy has you--so patient and understanding. I hope she does well when you get away. Jack has restless nights, too. I bought a white noise machine hoping that would help when it was winter and I couldn't use a fan, and it did help. I have also tried some calming drops, but what works best of all is benedryl. Other nights, he's fine. My vet says there is no harm in giving him benedryl.
ReplyDeleteGarden, oh wow, I'm with Russ. I gave the back yard to the dogs--it's a jungle. I have gardeners do the front. I wouldn't even have a back door if I could get away with it! :)
Working in the garden/yard is one of my least favorite things to do:(
ReplyDeleteYou guys are such GOOD pet parents!!
ReplyDeleteI dearly love to go places and look forward to the planning and getting ready, but I discovered I am a home person... I like fixing up, moving things around, planning the yard. It is just who I am!
From one of the full-time RVers, we so appreciate the beauty of that garden we can enjoy through your blog, just not in reality....at least for the moment. Thank you for sharing! Lynda
ReplyDeleteWhy thank you. And I enjoy the adventure I can find in your blog!!
DeleteI love working in the garden, you should have called me! It was my therapy when I had my house. It is nice to sit out & enjoy your rewards of all that work. I hope Poppy does ok on the trip. She's such a sweetheart. Give her a hug please!
ReplyDeleteWell TexCyn, there's still plenty left to do - come on down LOL!!
DeleteOMGosh!! Your garden is beautiful! I too love the hanging baskets. I tried to plant a few vegetables last year but nothing grew. Of course, all my girls had a bad year too so I won't own all of it, LOL! This year is for camping so I'll get my fix through your blog. *wink wink*
ReplyDeleteCheers! ~M
Beautiful garden. I was never much for yard work, and Mui dabbled a bit, but we always kept the garden small, and paved most of it.
ReplyDeleteI agree that everyone must find what works for them. Life on the road is not for everyone, and trying to shoehorn yourself into it will quickly lead to unhappiness if you are more of a stix & brix type person.
What a beautiful yard you have and gorgeous flowers. I've always loved getting out in the dirt and digging. Isn't that genetic :~) ? My mom loved doing it with her flowers and I love having a place I can stick a few in too. It's the weeds I don't like.
ReplyDeleteTending my flower and vegetable gardens is about the only thing I miss about the sticks and bricks. I always enjoyed the wonderful smell of peonies.
ReplyDeleteYour blog today reminded me of a song that's just come out recently on the station I listen to...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaO3K1kUMzs. I guess it's a little controversial because of some of the lyrics, but I love the main point of the song. :)
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
DeleteHaving issues trying to make the youtube link a live one. Not working for me for some reason. If you cut and paste the link, it does work though. :)
DeleteI sure hope everything works out well with Poppy. You are sure good parents.
ReplyDeleteGreat to hear that Russ is out working in the yard just like me - misery loves company.
ReplyDeleteActually, I do enjoy it especially when we're finished and can see the results - like your flower gardens - they look terrific.
We've never even considered full-timing and I doubt we ever will either. Being a "whenever I want to RVer" is perfect for us.
At this time of year when going to a Lowes or Home Depot and seeing the plants and gardening stuff, I get a twinge of missing gardening. Happily it passes quickly. We have the best of both worlds since daughter bought our house and keeps it up quite nicely and we get to enjoy it without the work involved when we go back to "Camp Driveway".
ReplyDeleteLike Russ, Leonard was not one to enjoy the flowers. That's why I mowed the grass as he would run over the flowers. Hey - that was probably his plan all along so as not to mow.
Lucky Poppy - good parents who always are looking out for her well being.
Beautiful garden, it makes me miss the ones we had around our house when we owned one.
ReplyDeleteNow that we're on the road FT, I'll settle for enjoying yours. Thanks for doing all that work for me! ;c)