No doubt everyone has heard the news about the latest catastrophic shooting incident, this time at an elementary school in Connecticut. Just a few days ago there was a shooting at a mall near where my daughter and her family live, in Clackamas, OR. Both incidents are tragedies, to be sure. What I am about to say is in no way meant to diminish the seriousness of these events, nor the grief these incidents bring. I am really at a loss but am trying to think through the sadness that surrounds such circumstance.
My personal reaction is not meant to be dogmatic, as I could well be wrong in my assessment. However, I wonder about the reporting that happens when something like this occurs. Is it really necessary and responsible to report continuously on the tragedy? I was out shopping this morning and knew nothing about the situation until we returned home. I turned on my computer and on Yahoo the story of the shooting was at the top of my news feed with the headline, “20 Children dead in Connecticut shooting.” Right below that was a link to “continuous live coverage.” I’m sorry, but I think that is just a little bit sick.
Don’t these parents, friends, relatives, and response personnel have enough to deal with without the news media sticking microphones and cameras in their faces? Do we really need to see little children running for their lives and crying in terror? Does this do anything to help the situation? Do we really have a “need to know?” Before the internet and the availability of 24 hour news stations, we would not be bombarded with the coverage we now endure.
I did NOT watch any video but I did see a few of the still shots of the children outside of the building, and that was enough. I do not want to be an ostrich but do I really need to know all the gory details? I wonder if the limelight given to perpetrators of this type only encourages others to act out their own fantasy and claim their own infamy.
On Face Book I saw that someone had posted their reaction to the tragedy, along with the news about 20 school children in China who had been stabbed to death yesterday. My question is, what do we gain by knowing this? Yes, it is tragic but can we do anything about it? My mother used to tell me is I was not part of the problem nor part of the solution, then I had best stay out of it.
The only person I can control is ME! The only people I can influence are those close to me. Do I influence them positively by participating in the feeding frenzy generated by the news media? Or, is it more important that I focus on the more positive quality of life?
To be sure, evil exists in this world and it is not that hard to find examples. It would be easy to sink into a morass of of negativity and “the world is going to Hell in a handbasket” mentality. But that does not solve anything. The 24/7 reporting of negative news does not solve anything. What is truly gained by the entire world knowing about the tragedy in Connecticut or the one in China? Does it change the outcome? Does it change what the “good guys” can do about it? I think not. Those of us who abhor violence will still abhor violence regardless of what we see or read in the media. Those who feed on such news will continue to absorb all that the media dishes out. The only ones who benefit from this type of news coverage are the news media, their advertisers, and sadly, the perpetrator who was looking for validation and recognition.
I don’t know the answer. I know the media reports what the public wants to hear. Have we developed such blood lust and are we so inured to the pain of loss that we must view it over and over? What does it accomplish? Why do we not hear of the many schools who made it through the day without even a hint of violence?
I don’t have an answer and I admit my reaction here is on a visceral level. I am sick and tired of hearing nothing but negative reports. That doesn’t mean I think everything is rosy and there are no problems, I just question the wisdom of the non-stop reporting of tragedies and our hunger to feed on such news stories. There is much good in the world and I only wish we could hear more reports on that.
Those who so vociferously decry the violence and really want to effect change should consider turning off the TV and volunteering at a school or a homeless shelter where they might actually have a positive influence.
I think you make some good points, Donna. That is a wonderful Bible verse. There's so much tragedy in this world that we can become mired down and forget to look to God.
ReplyDeleteWell said. The same thoughts I have had since I heard, only you have said it better than I could have.
ReplyDeleteGood thoughts. Can't help but think that all the news over & over again gives people ideas they would normally not have. Maybe they think 'I could do that' It is sad, sad, sad.....
ReplyDeleteI completely understand why there is much coverage of such a tragedy. However, I was upset today when listening to the radio they interviewed a mother of a child from the school and then talked to the child, a 3rd grader asking what she saw etc. Completely insane! Upset me that the mother allowed this child to be interviewed.
ReplyDeleteI had a friend make a similar comment yesterday .. even before the incident today. Her thought was if the media continues to report, more of these events are bound to happen. I think she may be right but doubt that there's any way to stop the media. They want the story without thought to the consequences.
ReplyDeleteAfter listening to the basic facts and trying to ingest that, I shut off the media on these types of happenings. They are disgusting to me.
ReplyDeleteI so agree with you. And after hearing the news for about 20 minutes, I said ENOUGH. And turned it off. I can't believe the media goes on and on and on and makes such stupid remarks that just dare others to do the same thing. I'm so sad for those families. I pray the Lord will keep His arm around them and help them to find peace.
ReplyDeleteThere is no crime worse than violence against innocent children and no sorrow greater than a parent losing a child in such a horrible way as what happened in Connecticut today.
ReplyDeleteThere will be plenty of time to cast blame later.
Tonight, while the bodies of the slain children still lie in their classrooms, lets just grieve for those who have suffered the most.
The best thing that happened in our house was when all the big dish satellite broadcasts went dark and I declared we did not need to have a small dish installed. We get one network, and very rarely watch anything on it. I went from a CNN junky to a far more peaceful person. I really enjoyed being cut off from all the negative politics this fall as well.
ReplyDeleteWe need to know, but we don't need to listen for hours on end.
20 children dead. 20 children gone. 20 children who are no more.
Where is "god" in this picture?
As you know I read what you posted on facebook and I am glad you shared it on your blog too. The media does indeed go too far, our TV is off, I have heard enough. No amount of reporting and repeating this story is going to bring those precious children back to where they belong. My heart goes out to the parents and families who are affected by this tragedy. Rick said it very well..'there is no crime worse than violence against innocent children and no sorrow worse than a parent losing a child.'
ReplyDeleteI'm not sure what the media is trying to accomplish. I've been out all day. saw the devastating news this morning. Cried, but had to go on with my day. my mind stayed on the event. I also saw an extremely graphic photo of dog abuse yesterday on FB that I wish I had not of seen. I can't get the image out of my head. I can't do anything personally about either situation, except feel bad at the horrifying thoughts of it all. None of us need explicit details..it desensitizes many and leaves those of us that care devastated more....
ReplyDeleteEveryone who is in their 60's or older remembers those days when the news media was told what could be broadcast and what not. It was so much simpler, I couldn't agree with you more, I like some other commenters after getting the initial report, shut the news down, I don't watch much TV news, it's like when the President makes an important speech and then for an hour afterward you have some talking head telling you what you were just heard, are we all that stupid we can't remember 5 minutes ago. We will always have a very small percentage of our population that is crazy. Now is the time to pray for those families, that had the greatest loss a person could have, that of a child. A great post Donna. don't let it get you down.. Sam & Donna.....
ReplyDeleteWell said, couldn't agree more
ReplyDelete
ReplyDeleteThanks for taking the time to share..... It is all so true....and the fact that the coverage can encourage others with problems and weapons to begin plans ....not good.... How about the FACTS that are far from accurate and are used to fill in the blanks ...... Best solution seems to be hit off on the remote !!!
We're of like mind ... as you know from the emails we exchanged. I hate the "reality show" aspect media brings to devastating, tragic events.
ReplyDeleteI couldn't have said it better. I turned on the TV in the morning and the WHOLE DAY the shooting was on every major channel. Yes, it's news. It should be reported during the news broadcasts at the appropriate times. Not all day long.
ReplyDeleteIt was a terrible thing, and there is so much sadness for so many people. But I don't need to be hit over the head all day and all night. No wonder so many people are depressed. In spite of the shootings, we still need to live our lives, and I shut off the TV and the radio for the day and listened to an audiobook.
When update news of the incident comes on, I change channels - sometimes it's hard to stay positive in this world of instant and constant bad news. :(
Thanks for your post - it's nice to know that others feel the way I do about this kind of reporting.
Ur post was very well written and conveys my feelings completely. The media wants to sensationalize every event no matter how horrific. Seems we have become a nation of people who watch such as this over and over again. Some do, I can't...and won't. I immediately prayed for the families, first responders and all who helped in this extremely difficult situation-then I went on to other things. Perhaps if these types of things didn't get so much media coverage....maybe the perpetrators would put their efforts elsewhere. I read Morgan Freeman's thoughts and agree with them totally-he stated we should not give coverage to the perpetrator, forget his or her name, remember as many of the victims names as possible, pray for them. Show him one time and then move on. MeriKay, I believe God was with the families of these precious angels. He cannot prevent such atrocities because we have our free agency on this earth but He will be with those who ask Him. God and any mention of Him has been taken out of our schools, maybe that should be rethought.
ReplyDeleteThanks Donna for sharing ur perspective. I pray God's blessings on all the families.