October 2014

October 2014
Day Trip to Oakridge Oct 2014

Monday, December 24, 2012

Christmas Memories

This Christmas has been a bit strange for sharon donna santaus.  It’s the first Christmas that I have been without my sister.  To say I miss her is an understatement.  She has only been gone for 6 months so the loss still seems very fresh.
 
One of my favorite memories is the year my Grandpa played Santa Claus and Sharon and I had our picture taken with him.  This was somewhere is AZ but I can’t remember the city.  I think it was Mesa but I can’t tell for sure.  It’s another one of those instances where I wish I could phone mom and dad and ask them, but I’m afraid those days are long gone too.

a006It’s also the first Christmas in 15 years that we have not had the Best Dog Ever, Rusty, here to celebrate the holidays with us.  Rusty was a true Party Animal!  He always had a present or two under the tree, and he LOVED to unwrap them.

He loved to help others unwrap their presen002ats as well, but he was polite and would wait until he was invited to help.  Then he would gently take an edge of the paper and pull it away from the package.  I always wondered how a dog could know that just the paper was supposed to come off.  He never tried to chew through the box the paper covered.

This dear boy was never more happy044a than when he was surrounded by family and lots of Christmas wrappings. 

Amid all the hustle and bustle of Christmas, it’s good to stop and reflect on all the good memories of years gone by.  Although this Christmas is tinged with sadness, we do have so many happy memories, and those are what I choose to embrace.

I can never get Sharon or Rusty back and I miss them both so much.  But I can celebrate and remember the Christmas times we enjoyed together.

I know I posted this last year but it is my favorite version of my favorite Christmas Carol…another memory that I will cherish forever.  This is my then 7 year old granddaughter singing a capella, “O Holy Night,” and catching us all by surprise when she goes for and hits the high note at the end! (Note to Bekah:  I wouldn’t turn down an update, hint-hint!!)   Merry Christmas everyone.

23 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas to you and your family, loss is always more challenging during the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christmas is made of many, many wonderful memories. We send a merry Christmas from our house to yours. Sam & Donna....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christmas is definitely a time for memories and for missing loved ones. Wishing you lots of love and a Merry Christmas from the Dixons.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved hearing Bekah.. what a beautiful song (and beautiful child) to hear on Christmas Eve. Wishing you the best along with love and a hug.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Merry Christmas to you both and your family...all the very best in 2013

    ReplyDelete
  6. This the year to cherish all the memories you've made through the years. Blessed Christmas to you and Russ.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You may think that Sharon and Rusty are gone but you are wrong as they live on in your memories and in your heart.

    Merry Christmas to you both Donna and Russ. Be Safe and Enjoy every moment of this glorious life you've been given.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Merry Christmas to you and Russ and your family..sending you a 'cyber hug'..life changes and sometimes it can be difficult! make new memories and talk about the old ones too!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Christmas time is a wonderful time of year. However, missing those that have shared the holiday with us in the past sometimes it makes it a little harder. Focus on those around you and have a wonderful day full of memories.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aren't you glad that you recorded Bekah at that precious age? Even then, she showed much talent. Christmas can be a bittersweet time and you are wise to focus on the good memories of loved ones.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Please know in ur heart that u will be with Sharon and Rusty again some day. Sad as it is to be without them, right now u have ur sweet memories....one day u will be able to enjoy them again. I know that God didn't make such wonderful family connections and love to have it all end at the grave. May God bless u and Russ with more love and happy times to make more wonderful memories. Merry Christmas Donna!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Merry Christmas Russ and Donna. Bekah's singing was beautiful. So was the header pic of Rusty.

    Enjoy the day along with wonderful memories.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Merry Christmas, Donna & Russ. Bekah's singing gives me lovely shivers. Sorry it is a tough Christmas for you but glad you have such nice memories to share. Take care & God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Our very best Christmas wishes to you and Russ. Hope that you have a great day with the family.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the innocence of a child! So cute! Loss is always hard but I hope you find joy and new memories during this holiday season.

    Merry Christmas to you and your family!! :)
    ~M

    ReplyDelete
  16. I remember when you said a raccoon tried to lure Rusty into the pool, and I thought you said it was luring Russ into the pool. Rusty must have been a smart old dog, and so is Russ.

    We're too far away from family and old friends to pretend that Xmas is business as usual. We've kinda played it cool the last couple of years, and being frugal falls right into that groove.

    Wishing you happiness right on through the sorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  17. They may be gone, but they are still in your hearts. As long as you have your memories of them, they will be with you. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Grrrr! My internet is bouncing in and out and I lost my comment ... let's see if I can do as well 2nd time around.

    Christmas without loved ones is always hard. I'm sure your memories were filled with joy, tempering the sadness.

    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fond memories, even the bitter sweet ones are worth having:) Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am so far behind on all my blog reading that I had not realized Rusty had died. How sad & I sure understand your feelings of loss. That first Christmas without one of your best Pals there to help open presents is difficult. The house is quieter now but you have your memories. We often think back to all the great times & entertainment Max, Checkers, & the little Motormouse brought us over the years. We wouldn't have missed that for anything. Hang on to your Rusty memories....and we wish you guys all the best in the New Year:))

    ReplyDelete
  21. I haven't check anything since early Christmas Eve.

    I love the new header photo. Rusty was so much like we humans. How many people don't love being around others, opening gifts and just plain celebrating.

    Your memories are wonderful things. I think of them as celebrations of good times, loving times, warm times.

    Now it is time to get ready to ring the new year in. Wishing you two a fabulous, happy, and adventurous 2013.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for sharing so many wonderful memories!

    ReplyDelete