I can remember making a small dam or tying our sodas in a bag and dunking them in the creek to keep them cool. A watermelon never tasted better than one that had been cooled all day by the gurgling stream. When Mom and Dad finally got a little 15’ camp trailer, we all thought we were really living. It even had an ICE-BOX to keep things cool inside! As I remember, Daddy still preferred to cook outside over the campfire. Nothing smells better in the morning than campfire smoke, the fragrance of sizzling bacon and the aroma of campfire coffee.
For some reason, Paradise Campground brings back all those memories. Oh sure, I like staying in the full- hookup places too. I am spoiled and I want my internet connection, water, electric, and sewer. I admit I enjoy these creature comforts. But when you want to truly relax and enjoy nature, try a Forest Service Campground.
Paradise Campground is located on Hwy. 126, The McKenzie Highway, about 60 miles east of Eugene, OR. There are both reservable and first come, first served spaces available. There are clean flush toilets but some loops still have pit toilets. Water is available but not to hook-up. Cost is $18 or $9 with an America the Beautiful pass. There is NOT a sewer dump at this location.
This is just up the road from Takoda’s restaurant and Harbick’s Country Store so you are always close to supplies. Even if you don’t need anything, this store is a hoot to visit. They have a little of everything.
Our favorite space at Paradise is #17, where we have camped in the past with Brian and Laila. This space is a double and so the cost is double, but for us it was well worth it. You can easily fit 2 rigs, a toad, and several tents in this space and have room left over. This is the driveway, two asphalt spurs.
This site has direct, low bank access to the river. Some folks just cannot stay out of the water no matter how old they get!
That little quiet pool next to the bank is our camp “refrigerator” when we stay here. Yes, I still like the river cooled sodas and watermelons.
Looking towards the river from the parking area…
Looking back from the river towards the road (the restrooms are right across the street)…
This is a popular stretch of river for both rafters and drift boats and at this site, you can take your chairs right down to the water’s edge and watch the activity. One day we made big signs with numbers on them (like the Olympics) and would hold them up as rafters came through the riffles. We had a lot of fun and got some friendly waves from the folks on the water.
Lots of good memories here. Unfortunately, Brian and Laila now do all their camping at those fancy Marriott campgrounds…you know, the ones with the pillow-top mattresses and indoor plumbing!! But we still enjoy day trips to the more rustic places and Russ and I still enjoy sitting around a campfire and listening to the song of the river. Paradise?? Yup, I do believe it is.
In other news, we have recently signed up at a site called Boondockers Welcome. The idea is to list your name and city if you have room for someone to boondock on your property for a night or two on their way through town. It is designed to help those folks who are just passing through and need a place to get some sleep. We just got our first inquiry and have responded to the request. We will see how it works out but it seems, at least on the surface, to be a good idea. For those of you still in Sticks and Bricks, check it out and see what you think.
Grandgirls are coming Sunday for three weeks so I’m sure to have some stories to tell then. Thanks for stopping by and traveling along with us on the Beautiful McKenzie Highway.
Looks like Paradise to me too! :)
ReplyDeleteCome on over for a visit...
DeleteDitto -- paradise indeed.
ReplyDeleteYou too...LOL!!
DeleteI love the camp refrigerator idea. Probably works better than the Norcold refrigerators in some of the RVs.
ReplyDeleteOH WOW...thanks for telling us about the Boondockers Welcome site. We have never heard of it. I told you more than a week ago, you two are going to be nominated for the HOST AND HOSTESS OF OREGON award. And believe you me, we will vote for you. Hope you enjoy the experience. It is going to be fun hearing your side of the story.
McKenzie River temperatures in the summer hover in the 50 degree range so that's plenty cold for sodas! I know my fridge struggles when it's too hot outside.
DeleteI think the Boondockers idea sounds really good. We'll have to see how it works in reality. The person who inquired of us has not gotten back to us yet but they were talking about later in the month. It'll be interesting to see how this works.
We used to camp in a tent under tall trees too. As a kid I could say we had been rained out of some of the nicest places. Then, my folks also got fancy with a 17' trailer. It was better to them than those Marriotts. When our kids were little we had a tent trailer and eventually upgraded to a real trailer with hard sides. Camping in the forests and treed RV parks was the only place. However times have moved on for us. I love having some trees around but since there are no trees to shade the hot sun in Arizona, the only trees we are really around are the ones in the Pacific NW. I want the sun to come in to warm up the area. The trees block that sun and they also block our satellite antenna. I guess in reality we aren't camping anymore we're living.
ReplyDeleteLove your Oregon posts. We'll eventually have to plan a dinner someplace in between.
Dinner would be great fun! I love the forests but I wouldn't want to be without hook-ups all the time either. But once in a while it is nice to travel back to a simpler time and a slower pace.
DeleteWe're getting some sun this evening. How about you?
looks like Paradise to me too..I can see Tucker swimming in your 'refrigerator'!
ReplyDeleteTucker, NO, put down the Pepsi!!
DeleteParadise is a great looking campground and having the river so close and accessible is sure nice. Must be a fairly busy place in the summer months.
ReplyDeleteIt can get busy on the weekends but it is mostly older folks and fishermen. Some families but it seems most kids want playgrounds, swimming pools, etc.
DeleteWho could resist Paradise on earth? Even though we are staunch full-hookup people, we may have to give Paradise Campground a try. Do you think our big rig would fit in a spot there?
ReplyDeleteFor sure site 17 would accommodate you and there are probably a few others as well. The website says average parking apron is 42' but I saw some a lot smaller so there must also be some a lot bigger! It's a beautiful spot for a couple of nights.
DeleteI camped at Paradise back in 2010 and fell in love with it. It was wet and cold but that didn't matter because I was in Paradise. Loved all your pics and your thoughts on camping with your family. I will have to try your refrigerator system.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful site! I can see why you love it so. Enjoy those grands!
ReplyDeleteHow nice of you to sign up for the Boondockers Welcome. We read about that and thought it sounded like an interesting idea. Will be anxious to hear how it goes for you. And next time we're in you're neck of the woods we will be sure to take you up on it!
ReplyDelete