One of the things I love about western Oregon is that no matter where you go, there is always a trail to somewhere or other that begs exploring.
There is also an observation deck overlooking one of the old holding ponds. We saw lots of salamanders in the water, something I haven’t seen for a long time. Russ wanted to catch one – boys never change, do they?
An old waterwheel brings out the kid in all of us. Try as he might, Russ could not make it move.
For you golfers, we visited on
Can you imagine looking at this as you play your round of golf? How could you keep your mind on the game? But I guess being surrounded by beauty is one of the reasons golfers do what they do.
From there it was just about 20 miles east to Sahalie Falls. The falls were as full as I have ever seen them and the cascading water provided a cooling mist along the trail. This is a fully accessible trail and viewing area. There is limited RV parking and I would not attempt it in anything over about 30’. There is ample parking for cars. Pit toilets are available. This is a free attraction.
It was really too bright and sunny to get good pictures but here are a couple. This is such a beautiful area and the water is just crystal clear. The McKenzie river flows from Clear Lake just a little further up the road and provides the drinking water for Eugene.
A trail connects Sahalie Falls with Koosha Falls but it’s quite a hike so we drove between the two. Koosah has parking for only about 6 cars and no RVs could fit in there, except perhaps the 24’ or shorter. There is a campground adjacent, Ice Cap Campground, which might provide a place to park your rig while you walked over for a visit. There is a trail to the top and a trail that goes towards the middle of the falls. Both trails end in viewing areas. The lower trail includes stairs and is a bit steep in places, but well maintained. If I can do it, most anyone can!!
The walk is well worth the effort.
To really get the feel for these magnificent waters, you have to hear them. Here’s a short 15 second clip.
I caught this fella cleaning up the leftover snacks from visitors. He had a preference for Fritos. I know it’s a Blue Jay but I’m not sure of the variety. I think it’s a Stellar Jay.
Tomorrow I’ll introduce you to Paradise…Campground that is!! Right on the McKenzie River it is one of our favorite Forest Service Campgrounds.
You are right about all the trails. We LOVE them! They are so well maintained also!
ReplyDeleteAnother wonderful park. I bet Russ couldn't push that wheel because it was nailed down NOT because he doesn't have BIG STRONG arms.
I just can't get over how beautiful that mountain is. So much snow and it is June 11. This is just amazing to me. Your photos are gorgeous! Thanks so much for showing us why we need to come back. Great job!
Those waterfalls are MAGNIFICENT!!! I can't remember if John Muir traveled in this area, but I kept thinking how much he would have/or did love this place. I know I should would!
ReplyDeleteSuch gorgeous photos! That is a beautiful part of Oregon, I remember the nice walks along the McKinzie River (sp?), and that walkway looked just as nice. I have no plans to go to Oregon for a while, but sure will travel there again. Looking at your pictures, I wish I was there right now. :)
ReplyDeleteanother great recap of this part of your day!..the falls are amazing!
ReplyDeleteYou've almost got me convinced to head for Oregon next year. Do you work for the Visitors Bureau?
ReplyDeleteJust made a note about the accessible falls for future reference.
ReplyDeleteThanks:
ed
Beautiful falls and love the young jay! Lots of snow up yonder on the Sisters!
ReplyDeleteThose are sure beautiful photos of both the snow capped mountains and the waterfalls. Thanks for posting the video clip, I could watch waterfalls forever.
ReplyDeleteGoody, you still have more to post about the McKenzie Highway. Dave and I were wondering, when you take Therapy on Highway 126, do you follow 126 as it goes north and connects with Highway 20? The east-bound highway (242) looks very curvy. That golf course view looks amazing. Waterfalls and mountain views--two of my favorite views. Thanks for including the video clip of the sound of the falls. Amazing!
ReplyDelete"An old waterwheel brings out the kid in all of us. Try as he might, Russ could not make it move."
ReplyDeleteMaybe he needed to 'remove' the yellow anchor that was holding the wheel down first :-)))
Stellar's it is and the photos were stellar too...
ReplyDeleteGreat pictures of yet another interesting outing. I am anxious to see the post of Paradise Campground.
ReplyDeleteSpectacular pictures you took just love those snow capped mountains. Can't believe the amount of water coming from the falls. What a beautiful state you live in.
ReplyDeleteYour trip down the McKenzie river is fabulous. Great pics.
ReplyDeleteHey! We were there last year. We took the trail between the two falls and the rushing water was deafening! I guess they don't have any water shortages there!
ReplyDeleteSo how was the walk between the falls, other than deafening lol? I wondered how long and arduous it was and I didn't want to set out if it was beyond our capabilities.
Delete