Russ took these photos from the south end of the lake. There is a county park with picnic tables, swimming area, boat launch, restrooms, and a bus stop! During the summer you can catch a shuttle for $1.50 at one of several stops around the lake and go to Joseph or Enterprise.
Yes, it really is that clear and pristine. If you look closely near the bottom of the next photo, you can see the rocks on the bottom of the lake.
The Wallowa State Park has both camping and day use areas at the north end of the lake. The day use is adjacent to the campground so it is easy to walk through and enjoy both areas.
A small herd of deer inhabit the park. We noticed two does and three yearlings that seemed to hang together and another doe who was always a ways off form the others. There is also a fine buck that roams around and beds down near a small viewing platform. He is totally unafraid of humans and just goes about his business as if you were not there.
I think Russ caught him with a mouth full of grass! Next day, he was walking through the campsites – eating again! Just like a guy!
I think he was telling us to quit interrupting his breakfast.
We have a great campsite on an outside loop, with a hill and then nothing but forest in the back. Very quiet.
We are just kicking back and enjoying this wonderful area.
Tonight I caught Russ in an indiscretion! I thought I was married to a real outdoorsman. He tried to hide it but I caught him using egg cartons and fire starter to get the campfire going.
And then to ad insult to injury, he didn’t even use a real match! Can you imagine?
But the end result was worth it so I guess it’s okay.
Meanwhile, the steaks were sizzling on the grill. Don’t ask me about the meat I tried doing over the fire a night or two ago!
And although it looks like the tablecloth is on fire, I assure you we are a safe distance away, enjoying our steak and tater and basking in the warmth of a warm fire.
Life is definitely good!
Join us here tomorrow, same time (if I can find internet, that is), same station, for a visit to the charming village of Joseph and a visit to the grave of the Old Chief Joseph…and coming soon, it’s spawning time and the river if FULL of salmon.
What a beautiful park! The lake like like Crater Lake.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great place to be!
ReplyDeleteWhen we stayed at Wallowa Lake State park, I was surprised how small the lake was. It was beautiful, though, with part of it it lined with trees and part desert-like. Glad you are having a good time!
ReplyDeleteWe were there in July - totally in love with the area!
ReplyDeleteA very pristine lake...what beauty. Chief Joseph and his tribe were quite a remarkable group of Native Americans.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful campsite, just the kind I love. I can imagine kicking back for a few days there, for sure! Dinner looks delish! Enjoy. :)
ReplyDeletegreat header shot, Donna!!..looks like a great spot!..you and Russ sure know how to find them!!!
ReplyDeleteThat's exactly the kind of quiet scenery I like to see out our front windshield as well:))
ReplyDeleteHope those deer are protected, don't want them to end up on the dinner table,We do however eat a few each year, but we have a ton of them and the big old does are good eating.Saves a lot of money on beef costs too. be safe out there. Sam & Donna.
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful looking steak!! Sorry, I meant to say lake and scenery but my eyes kept coming back to that steak!!
ReplyDeleteSure looks like you've found the perfect place to spend a few days.
That is my kind of place!
ReplyDelete