What a time we are having on the Oregon coast. Although we live in Oregon we seldom take the time to explore in depth our own back yard. Isn't it funny how even RVers seem to think the grass is always greener somewhere else? Maybe it’s the fun and excitement of going somewhere far away, somewhere you have never been before. Perhaps it is just the planning of such a trip that generates excitement and a sense of adventure.
I know I am guilty of wanting to “take a trip” and go far, far away. But as we have read this summer in blogs from Rick, Al, Kate, Dave and Carol, and SO many others, there is beauty and adventure to be found close to home as well. We have taken many trips to the Oregon coast but we seldom take the time to really immerse ourselves in any one area and to appreciate the history of that place.
I enjoy the history of the Oregon coastal region, especially the tales of Lewis and Clark and their explorations. Russ has been reading a book about the Lewis and Clark expedition called ‘Undaunted Courage’ by Stephen Ambrose. The book details the mission of the Corps of Discovery as they traveled westward to the Pacific Ocean. We visited Seaside today and some of the historic sites in the area.
I admit it…I am a saltoholic. I love salt and I always seem to have the salt shaker nearby. But back in the days of the Lewis and Clark expeditions, salt was more than just a flavor enhancer. It was a necessity as a preservative for meat. And they couldn’t just run down to Safeway and buy a big bag of salt whenever they needed it. While the expedition members wintered at Fort Clatsop about 15 north of Seaside, a contingent of men labored near the beach at what is now Seaside to produce the salt they needed. This site has been preserved as an historic monument.
There’s not much to it…not what I expected at all.
Here men lugged water from the ocean to boil in five kettles, 24 hours a day, to obtain the salt they needed.
That’s a lot of water to be hauling from the ocean in the dead of winter. I know how cold and miserable it can be on the Oregon coast in winter and this is not a job I would want to do. Just gathering enough wood to keep the fire going would be a major chore. I wonder where we would be today if not for these adventurous and brave explorers?
From the site of the Saltworks, there is a short trail to the beach. I wondered what it would be like to carry bucket after bucket of water from this vast ocean to be boiled down for salt – day after day, night after night.
This is Seaside as it is today.
This is a busy tourist town with narrow streets and lots of traffic. I can only imagine what it is like in the high season or on a weekend. Lots of interesting shops and galleries but unfortunately, my back is on the fritz and I couldn’t do a lot of walking today. But when the traffic got busy I was ready to get out of town anyway!
Now I know some people love city living and high rises and all that but I am not one of them. To each his own, but for me personally, I would feel like an animal in a cage if I had to live in one of these places…ocean view or not!
Not saying it’s a bad idea – it’s just a bad idea for me!! Russ liked this house with the lobster shutters.
We also visited the small Seaside Historical Museum. It is tiny but for $2 it was a good stop. Do you see that wooden measuring device near the bottom of the photo? Does anyone know what that is? I remember using those many times.
Included in the admission is a tour of the historic Butterfield Cottage. This house was moved from its original location in what is now Seaside’s downtown core area to its present location next door to the museum in 1984. This is the only cottage that has survived from the original Grimes Grove area and was built in 1893.
And can you imagine wash day in this old cottage? The museum lady said they started the laundry every Monday at 5:30A and finished at 9:00P at night. WHEW!
Back at our campsite, we are enjoying a sparsely populated park. Peace and quiet reigns once more.
I love anything connected to Lewis & Clark... I am going to see if that book is avaiable on my kindle. Glad your having fun exploring the area even if it is where you're from there is alway something to see and learn. Those people were really tough back in the day!!!
ReplyDeleteHave fun
Donna
If it weren't for Lewis & Clark we would probably be English!!! When u were at Fort Clatsop could u imagine living in that dark, dreary place with the rain pouring down, day after day?? Depressing..
ReplyDeleteI loved your blog post today, Donna! I like how you weaved the story of Lewis and Clark throughout. Even though the salt works is small, it's great to have that reminder, in the midst of touristy Seaside, of what Seaside was like before it became Seaside. We haven't ever visited the museum or cottage there, so that's something to add to my list of things to see.
ReplyDeleteThe measuring item looks like a foot-size-measurer to me.
enjoy the peace and quiet!!..nothing like the Oregon Coast minus the tourists!!
ReplyDeleteWe are the same we we are always discovering something new right in our own back yard, We are fortunate to have the starting point for Lewis & Clark right here in Old Towne St Charles, really a neat display.Looks like you guys had a great tour. Be safe out there. Sam & Donna..
ReplyDeleteI liked the idea of a sparsely populated park:)) The reason we are attracted to and travel so far to the southwest so much is that it is totally different in all aspects from where we live here in Bayfield. It is that complete change of lifestyle and scenery for half the year that really attracts us westward.
ReplyDeleteThe hardships early settlers and explorers endured never fails to amaze.
ReplyDeleteWe were going to explore our home state of Montana this summer (until life interfered) because we have never taken the time to do that. Next summer for sure. Great blog - loved learning about the salt for L & C. Never had thought about how they got salt and I know it's essential for life. Amazing.
ReplyDeleteGetting salt out of salt water sure sounds like a lot of work especially when it all had to be done manually.
ReplyDeleteWe enjoyed our day trip to Seaside last spring. Some of those apartment and condo buildings on the waterfront are sure pretty big though.
Undaunted Courage is fantastic! The things that really stuck in my mind: none of the Corps of Discovery liked salmon - didn't consider it worth eating so were often hungry in an area abundant with salmon; and the description of crossing Lolo Pass, where they no doubt would have perished if not for the help of the native Americans.
ReplyDeleteYou know, in some ways, the Salt Works might have been the good job to have. You could get warm, it was not life-threatening (unlike felling trees), you were assured of success (unlike hunting, for instance), and you were producing an absolutely essential product - a good feeling.
That measuring device? I LOVED getting my feet measured for my new shoes each September as school started!
Fun read!
We love that area, and learning about Lewis and Clark, all the explorers, traders, etc. Yes, we recognized the foot measurer as well as the stereopticon, the old square stove-top toaster, and some of the other things. Ain't life grand, when you can realize how tough it USED to be!
ReplyDeleteGreat post today, especially liked the story of teh salt works.
ReplyDeleteI live in Washington and like you and Oregon, there's a lot I haven't seen. Maybe next year after all the snow and ice is gone I'll check out places I've never been to. To be fair, being a single parent, working full-time and going to school, I didn't have time for sightseeing. Now I do, and I will.
ReplyDeleteWe always stop to explore any Lewis and Clark site. Theirs is a great story.
ReplyDeleteLove that little tour! Loved Seaside too... that little street you showed! We met an older couple there and chatted with the lady/a realtor. Her husband had alzeimers and could tell us historical facts about where we were sitting, but didn't know his wifes' name... :(
ReplyDeleteI've never been to one of those Living History Encampments but what a great way to appreciate and learn about history.
ReplyDeleteI'm like you, a simple person who prefers a small Cafe.