In 1811, John Jacob Astor and his Pacific Fur Trading Company arrived on the Oregon coast and established Fort Astoria, as a fur trading post. This weekend, Astoria is celebrating its bicentennial. As part of that celebration, there is a Fur Trade Encampment set up in a field on the grounds of what was once Fort Stevens.
Basically, this is a bunch of people dressed in period costumes and displaying wares and methods of life in the early 1800’s. It’s all free and open to the public.
Many of the participants live in their tents in the field for the 4 days of the encampment but one fella confessed to Russ that he had a tin teepee over in the field across from the main parking lot! There were quite a few “tin teepees” in that field so I think there may be more than one old body who can no longer tolerate the cool night air and a sleeping bag on the hard, damp ground.
This lady however, was really into it and slept here and made her meals over an open fire…except she confessed to eating a bowl of cold cereal for breakfast – something I am sure they did not have in the early 1800’s!
Still it was fun. There was a working blacksmith. He said he was making tent pegs for one of the other participants.
Another man was working on the second paddle for the birch bark canoe he had already completed.
There were musicians…
…and a lady spinning with a wheel from the era. I know there are some spinners out there in Blogville, but what if this was the only way you could get yarn? What if this was a necessity rather than an enjoyable hobby? If you didn’t spin, you didn’t get new socks or sweaters. I’d be in real trouble cuz I don’t spin and I don’t knit. Thank goodness for Wal-Mart!!
The intricacies of design on these hides were amazing.
Some of the people were there simply to interpret the history of the era while other were vending their wares…everything from hand crafted leather goods, to hides, to Indian tacos. It was a small affair as these things go, but made for a most enjoyable morning.
We had a good walk and saw some interesting sights. What more could you want from a day at the Oregon coast?
You can tell that Russ really did walk that ole dusty trail.
After our time at the Fur Encampment, we made a run into Astoria for lunch. We were looking to score some fish ‘n chips. I wanted a little local shop on the water…something kinda “Mom and Pop”…somewhere the locals would eat. After driving around town and even out onto parts of a wooden dock (scary!), and trying to navigate Astoria’s crazy one way streets and traffic patterns, we still had not found what we wanted. Finally I drove down by the Port of Astoria area and we saw a seafood restaurant. The trouble was it said “Bistro” on it.
Now, I am a simple person, more at home in a small cafe than in a “Bistro” but we were both hungry and tired of looking. So we went to the Bridgewater Bistro. Yes, it was a bit on the spendy side but the view was great.
And the food? Outstanding is not too strong a word. I had my coveted fish ‘n chips and Russ had calamari and chips. We had the small portions and I was certainly glad. They were VERY generous plates. The coleslaw was like none I have ever tasted and the server told us it was laced with sweet chili sauce! Oh YUM! I didn’t get a photo of the homemade bread as it was GONE as soon as it hit the table.
I highly recommend the Bridgewater Bistro in Astoria. You won’t be disappointed.
Afterwards we warned around the dock area and got the requisite photos of the Astoria Bridge and scenes around the port area.
That is one LOOONG bridge. Did you ever wonder what it took to support all that weight? Here’s your answer.
The End.
P.S. (Sept. 18, 2011) We are now encamped at Wallowa Lake in the far north east corner of Oregon. No internet or phone service so we are going into Joseph to try and find something. We have some stories about how we got here by way of a graveyard, a hay stubble-field, and a Wild Horse...and we can’t even blame Sam (the GPS) this time. Hopefully I will get that up in the next few days. Take care all.
You are very near me - I'm in the South/East part of Washington. Somewhere above you on the map.
ReplyDeleteI haven't been to many places, but I HAVE been across the Astoria Bridge. I love it when I see it in other people's blogs, and I can say to myself, "I've been there!" It must be fun for other RVers who have really been around and visited lots of places - they would recognize a lot of photos.
Sounds like you guys are having a grand time. Enjoy! :)
I always enjoy those period encampments. Nice to see "THE END" is catching on. :)
ReplyDeleteOh, yum... we ate at the Bridgewater Bistro twice during our recent visit to Astoria. My favorites were the delish watermelon salad (tiny seeded cubes of watermelon, crumbled feta cheese,chopped mint, among other things) the wonderful mussel and clam chowder, and the muffins with lemon curd.
ReplyDeleteOdel and I did something we've never done in a restaurant: after eating our muffins spread with the thick lemon curd, we picked up our spoons and finished off the little pot of lemon curd like it was pudding. Totally tacky, but unavoidable. It was that good.
I enjoyed reading your post about Astoria and the encampment. Lots to see and do in Astoria! We'll have to give the Bistro a try some time. We've only camped at Wallowa Lake once, but we enjoyed our time there. We even rented a patio boat while we were there. I think I know about that Wild Horse you saw! I'm looking forward to reading about your drive to Wallowa Lake.
ReplyDeleteLiving history encampments are a great way to learn about life of yore. The interpreters really do get into the spirit of things.
ReplyDeleteAstoria sounds like a good place to visit. I'll add it to my list.
ReplyDeleteYou're so right, that picture of the bridge is perfect!
ReplyDeletesure sounds like you are enjoying yourselves in Astoria!!!...love the end shot..better Russ's butt than yours..he is such a good sport!!! and strong too..supporting that beautiful bridge!!
ReplyDeleteI'll add the Astoria Bistro to our list in the event we get down that way again on our way home.
ReplyDeleteGreat bridge picture - Russ is a strong man!
Looks like a perfect day ~ I would have loved the encampment and reenactors... That is definately my thing! And what a great ending to a fun filled day but a great meal!!!
ReplyDeleteHave fun & Travel safe
Donna
That bridge is always fun! But I've always been watching the soaring birds that like to "skim" it and haven't ever noticed Russ down there... I'll have to pay closer attention next time... Is there a relief person for when he pulls up his socks?
ReplyDeleteThanks for your great pics and description of the celebration. It reminded me of the Civil War reincarnation I saw last March in Picacho Peak SP in AZ.
ReplyDelete