April 2011

April 2011
Boondocking at my brother's in Reno, April 2011

Saturday, June 2, 2012

Meeting the Weavers

Did you ever wonder if you have blinders on when it comes to something you really like or think is wonderful?  Perhaps your “eye” is just a little prejudiced or you are seeing through rose colored glasses.  Sometimes I wonder if that describes me and the way I feel about Oregon.  That is why I love reading blogs about my home state.  I love to see my Oregon through new eyes and read what others think of this beautiful state.  Several bloggers have visited Oregon in the last few months and I enjoy reading what they have to say and seeing all the wonderful pictures.  I hope we see more of you come through Oregon this summer and if you get a chance to look us up, please do that.

One of the blogs I read on a regular basis is “Where’s Weaver.”  Paul and Marsha Weaver have been making their way up the west coast and have been in Oregon now for several days.  They are currently in Florence, OR and today they took a side trip inland to Eugene.  We were privileged to meet up with these great folks at what has become sort of our unofficial blogger meeting place, Roaring Rapids Pizza.  Previously we have met Rick and Paulette here and also Sue and Mo.   This is one of the few places in town where you can actually eat outside by the river and enjoy the ambiance of al fresco dining while watching the activity on the Willamette River.   Today there were four fishing boats in the water and the ospreys were active, looking for the catch of the day.
P1060002

We had a great time and like many have said before, it was like meeting old friends.  It’s always fun to hear about the places others are traveling to and exchange stories about places you have both visited.  The only thing they didn’t tell us ahead of time is today is Marsha's birthday!  Happy Birthday friend, hope it was a good one.

This is part of the outdoor seating area at the pizza place.
P1050966

A view of the river.
P1050970
Potted African Daisy on the patio.  I’ve never seen one like this before.
P1050977

Paul and Marsha had not yet visited the University of Oregon’s football field, Autzen Stadium.  I told them to follow me and I’d show them where it was.  What I didn’t know is there is another round of construction going on there and the entrance I wanted them to use was closed.  So I ended up taking them on a wild goose (or should I say DUCK) chase!  If you are coming to Eugene and want to see the home of the Oregon Ducks, take the Leo Harris Parkway off MLK Blvd!  Now I know!!  Sorry Paul and Marsha.

Although we gave up our season tickets a couple of years ago, we still have many fond memories of our days sitting in Autzen Stadium watching the Ducks play football.  Being tied down to those games sure cuts into the travel time though – we can always watch them on TV!  Hope you got to see at least some of the stadium Paul and Marsha and if not, here’s a picture.

game 010

Just one more thing…we were driving around the other day when Russ spied this duck family just walking up someone’s front walkway.  From the size of this crew, I think Mama Duck must have adopted some babies.  There were 9 or 10 ducklings all following along behind her.  Sorry, photo is blurry but I still wanted to share.

P1050964

Have a great rest of the weekend.


Thought for the day:  The optimist can be wrong as often as the pessimist but the optimist is happier!

24 comments:

  1. Pizza?..what happened to pancakes?..sounds like you all had a great meet and greet!..happy birthday to Marsha!!!..she has great hair!!!!..we may have to meet for pizza one day soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We only have pancakes with the early birds lol!! Come on down, we'll introduce you to Roaring Rapids Pizza.

      Delete
  2. Donna, you brought up a good point for me. Being an avid sports fan (I have been to a Ducks home game a couple of times) and loving Bloomington (IU), it seems to tie me down in the fall and winter with ballgames to watch or go to, but like you say ... you can watch them on tv as you travel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you pay out the money for the tickets AND the required donation, it just feels like you have to attend the games to get your money's worth. While I loved it while we were doing it, it just seemed like we could do a lot of travel for the amount of money we gave to sports and besides, fall is our favorite travel time. There is nothing quite like sitting in the stadium watching the action live...unless it is sitting by a stream, or visiting a national park, or watching the waves crash on the rocks...you get my drift!!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  3. So glad you got to meet the Weavers. And the next time we are in Eugene, we have a date at Roaring Rapids Pizza....our treat. How nice of you to show the the stadium, construction and all!!!What a gal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for the wonderful afternoon and the birthday wishes. You are right. It is just like meeting old friends. Pizza was a super choice. The outdoor setting was perfect. I love listening to the water running over the rapids.

    Paul and I both really enjoy reading your blog. You two have such a great sense of humor.

    Dog gone it....I missed the daisies. They are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We really think Paul and Marsha are very special folks. Glad you got to spend some time with them. And you can brag about Oregon all you want to because it is one of the prettiest states ever. Utah is right up there with it but Utah doesn't have that coastline.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I'm glad you got some pictures of the ducks. I know you wouldn't take any pictures of beavers in Eugene! ;) Papa's Pizza was good too, even though it doesn't have the great views of Roaring Rapids!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember Roaring Rapids Pizza quite well and the great time we had when we first met you and Russ there. Nice that Paul and Marsha could make it over to Eugene and I do hope you made sure their pronouncement of the Willamette River was correct!! I still remember that for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, that's always a given! Yachats is another one that gives people fits.

      Delete
  8. Sounds like a great time was had by all. There's a duckling family like the one you guys photographed that has adopted the White House grounds; it's so funny to see them trespassing through the fence at will ... the guards even put on disposable gloves and help the ducklings that can't manage the rather high jump to get on the other side of the fence.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Always fun meeting up with bloggin buddies... We love Oregon and hope to be back out there next summer... Hope to see you then!
    Have fun & Travel safe
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had been reading blogs for several months but hadn't started one of my own until we met Donna and Dennis Cave while we both were at Falcon Lake St Park in Texas. Meeting other bloggers gave me the confidence to start my own. Meeting other bloggers when you already have a blog as good as yours must give you even more to talk about (as if I ever run out of talk) What fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. we will soon be entering Oregon near Klamath Falls, I lived there as a kid and am looking forward to our time in Oregon...

    ReplyDelete
  12. There are few Corporate Headquarters cafeteria's that can compete with the unofficial blogger's dining room atmosphere. I am tickled pink with your Oregon pride, otherwise I would not have been able to enjoy traveling shotgun with you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, I DO look at "YOUR" state with a prejudiced (and an envious) eye. I love Oregon. I wish I had been born there, raised my kids there, and more than anything, spent more time with Rich there, and could be sitting on the coast there, now!

    ReplyDelete
  14. We share your enthusiasm for Oregon, and would really like to get up there again while we are still mobile!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad you got to meet Paul and Marsha. We had a great visit with them in Texas last winter.
    The little ducklings are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  16. glad you got to meet up with Paul and Marsha...isn't it exciting its like NOT meeting for the first time when you meet bloggers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice to see you and Russ got to meet up with the Weavers. Sure looked like a beautiful day to enjoy the outdoor dining. Have a Great Week!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Still getting caught up on my blog reading and you never fail to amaze me.

    Always great blog content and awesome photos.

    Thanks so much for all that you do.

    Sharon - Princess and Cowboy

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey guys I have to agree with you about Oregon. Before I was an RVer, I camped 3 weeks down the coast in my conversion van, and I swear every day was a fond memory. I've also been following The Weavers and have enjoyed reminiscing about the places I've visited there -- including Mo's.

    You, by the way, are one of the many blogs I check in on "The Big Blogroll" on my site. Another couple you may be interested in is "Wheeling It". They are currently in Ashland, Oregon and swear they've found the best RV site ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - Marsha told us about "Wheeling It" and we have contacted them. Hopefully we will get to meet. Isn't it fun how bloggers look out for one another?

      Delete