October 2014

October 2014
Day Trip to Oakridge Oct 2014

Sunday, May 4, 2014

An Interesting Trip

Just a short trip to Reno to see my brother – or so we thought!  This has been in the works for several months and it was my bright idea – yup, guilty as charged.  We, along with my sister, Laila, and her hubby Brian were going to Reno to see brother David and then we were all going to caravan down to Bishop for a mini family reunion.  David was born in Bishop and it was always a favorite family vacation destination when we were kids.  What could possibly go wrong?

Our plan was to get on the road early Thursday morning.  We got the motorhome ready to roll and the car all hooked up Wednesday night.  We planned to take the van and go out for a quick breakfast before hitting the road.  Well here’s what came of that plan…this is what we found when we went out to get in the van:

P1050834

It’s a good thing I had some cold cereal and milk as that was our breakfast while we waiting for Les Schwab to send out a truck to air up the tire.  Then Russ had to take the van to the shop only to find the tire had a hole in the sidewall and had to be replaced.    Two new tires on the van was a good way to spend our trip money…CHA-CHING!!  Got a late start but had a decent day for a drive.  Here’s the requisite picture of The Mountain as we head south on I-5.

P1050858a

P1050855a

We spent two nights at Dance Country RV Park in McCloud, CA – I may have to write one more blog just to talk about that.  Nice park but too many loose dogs.

P1050881

P1050867

We were walking the dogs when I felt a stinging on my ear.  I reached up to my ear and came away with a squished black bug of some kind, and about two gallons of my freshly ingested blood!!  Don’t know what it was but he sure liked to bite and suck blood…no, not a tick.  It was a very soft bug.  Okay, WARNING – this is an ugly picture, but I bet you can tell which ear it was that was bitten…
ears

It still hurts although the swelling has gone down and I am left with a just a big knot on the back of my ear.

Our good luck continued as Russ checked his email and found an overdraft notice from the bank.  He has an automatic transfer from checking to savings set up and he thought he was making a change to the amount.  Instead he made an additional transfer and that caused the overdraft.  No problem, the bank just transferred back from savings to checking to cover his transfer from checking to savings and charged him $12.50 for the privilege.  Makes perfect sense.  Several other things have gone wrong too but I think you get the picture – not such a smooth trip!!

After two days of dodging loose dogs in McCloud we left for Reno.  Our good luck continued when we stopped at Jack in the Box in Susanville for lunch.  It’s right next to Wal-Mart and an empty building where we had boondocked a couple of years ago.  Plenty of parking for motorhomes and several already parked in the area.  We parked at the empty building and Russ walked the dogs while I got some grub at the restaurant.  We were just starting to eat when I heard someone yelling.  I looked out the door of the motorhome and saw this wild haired woman facing the rig and yelling at us at the top of her lungs.  I could only pick up a few words of what she said…something about helicopters, judgment, no respect, and getting an earful.  I started the camera in case she did anything really crazy.  It was when she opened her trunk and brought out what looked like a broken baseball bat that we began to get worried.   Russ doesn’t normally react to such situations, preferring to just ignore people and mind his own business.  But when she brought that club out we both got scared.  I had visions of busted windows or even busted heads.  I shut off the camera and he called the police.  I never did get a picture of her with her weapon but she was scary.  The police came and chased her off and then talked to us.  Seems this woman is the local nut case but normally she just stands on street corners and yells at anyone who passes by.  For some reason our being parked there in the motorhome set her off.  The officer told me she asked him if he heard the airplane and told him things were going to start happening now!  We gulped down our lunch as quickly as possible and got out of there as soon as we could get our adrenaline under control.  Here’s a couple of minutes of her rant…it went on a lot longer than this.



In retrospect, I feel sorry for this poor woman but at the time we didn’t know if she was a real threat or not.  So much craziness out there…seems you never know what might happen.  I didn’t know if the bat was the only weapon she had and we didn’t want to take any chances.

Driving through some fierce winds, we finally made it to Reno and our destination of the Sparks Marina RV Park.  We pulled in and our neighbor greeted us with, “Say, did you know your front tire is really low?”  No, we didn’t know that!!  We called AAA first – we have the RV Plus plan.  Since it was just a low tire we thought they could handle it and they assured us someone would be out who could either air up the tire or put the spare on.  More than a hour later, a guy showed up with a tow truck.  He didn’t have a compressor big enough to air up the tire, nor the equipment to change the tire!!  SHEESH, we told them it was a motorhome – you’d think they would have sent someone who could do the job.  So we called Coach Net.  They were knowledgeable and sent someone out who put the spare on for us and aired it up.  Now we have to wait until Monday when Les Schwab is open so we can get the tire fixed.  After that we are heading home.  With the way things have been going, we don’t want to go on to Bishop and risk more problems. 

The dogs have been real good but it has been hard on them too.  They are accustomed to having a very large yard to run around in and a doggy door to use whenever they want to.  Being on a leash all the time does not make them real happy.  Hopefully they can chase a few balls out at David’s place today.  I will write one more post about the Dance Country RV park.  Aside from the loose dogs and the blood thirsty bugs, it’s a beautiful park and worth staying in.  That’s all for now!!

And so ends just another adventure in travel.  Hopefully our trip home will be a lot less exciting than our trip here. 

22 comments:

  1. Yikes, what a trip you had! I'm sure that things will be calmer on your way home.

    I'm glad you posted about Dance Country RV park. I'm going to McCloud at the end of June for something called "Burning Tango" - a mini dance festival. It looks like I'll be staying at this park. However, after seeing the picture of your ear I'll be sure to pack some insect repellant.

    There are some crazy people in the world - not crazy enough to be institutionalized, but scary folks indeed. A place I go to eat in Las Cruces has a man who I try not to sit near. He's about 50 or 60, has a backpack, and always starts with a huge bowl of lemons. Then he engages in a "conversation" with himself rather loudly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy, you certainly had her undivided attention. Sorry that you landed on her radar. Getting out of Dodge seems to be the only option in those circumstances. Some days it just doesn't pay to get out of bed. Guess that happens RVing too. Darn it all!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hm, that Crazy Lady looks just a bit like one of my sisters-in-law, who has had her share of mental health issues. Only a coincidence I'm sure.
    Never really know what lurks in the minds of others.
    Of course, we have our wonderful "Mental Health Act", which basically means you have to do some sort of harm to yourself or others in order for any kind of intervention. Probably a similar reason why the cops could only chase her off, as you mentioned.
    So I lost count, how many tires was that? Three?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quite a wild ride you're having! Hope you make it home without any more problems.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness! First of all, you can't possibly close this blog with adventures like this, and your knack for telling a good story. Second, the photo of Mt. Shasta is astounding! Haven't seen that much snow in a while. Glad you made it safe to Reno, and survived the threats!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the compliment. Mt. Shasta was indeed in fine form.

      Delete
  6. Glad to see you blogging if only due to some excitement! BTW, we will be traveling through Oregon and WA. on way to Alaska in June. Wondering where you are located. Send me info via Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, My, Gosh! That was certainly a blog-worthy trip. Geez. That woman was scarey - I would have been worried, too. You can't argue with crazy people, because you'll always lose. Better to cut and run.

    I don't know why some places let dogs run loose. If I'm in a place like that and don't want to leave, I bring my walking stick with me - with the pointed end. I love dogs, but if one is rushing us, he'll get it if he gets too close. And my animal spray, too. It's not fair when we're following the rules. I carry the spray and a whistle, just in case, all the time. I've never had to use them, but I would if I had to.

    The other thing about dogs running loose, who picks up the poop? Yeah, our shoes. :(

    Glad you're out again - the pups will get used to being on leashes, so many interesting smells in new places. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara the bad thing about the loose dogs was that two of them belonged to the owner of the park! Another was a visitor but they kept their dog mostly on their side of the creek. Another loose one was pretty well controlled. One of the owners' dogs pooped right by our picnic table and we cleaned it up....should have delivered it to the owner haha. I carry a water sprayer with me - not much defense but most dogs don't like it and will at least turn away.

      Delete
  8. You two must be mighty "tired" of tire problems! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. An adventure for sure. Be safe on the way home.

    ReplyDelete
  10. nice to see you back blogging again! one crazy lady and bad tire issues..the two of you know how to travel!!
    Hope you have a great time in Reno!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You had enough adventures in one trip to make up for a month or more of traveling. And the pups will adjust to the leash. Well maybe. Our Skitz still shakes when we put her harness on her but she only hides behind the chair once in awhile now. The worse time we had with loose dogs was on an Indian reservation. Not fun.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You must be worn out dealing with everything. This is not fun! And AAA...I'm not going to renew my Premier membership this year. We had a problem at my sister's home on Anderson Island & they told me they couldn't get out to help us that day & tomorrow didn't look too good either. It's Coach Net for us! Take good care--I'm thinking you can only go uphill from here!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Girlfriend!!! Glad to see you back on here. What a story!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Geesh, what a trip! Maybe you should crawl into bed and pull the covers over your head.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was in that same parking lot as the ranting lady just a few days earlier. I didn't see her, but if I had I would have turned Chica (my 4 lb toy Chihuahua) on her. That would have taught her a lesson. Just kidding of course. Sorry to hear about all the things that went wrong. Next time out should be a breeze now that everything is fixed.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My goodness dear friends. What an adventure. Glad the kids were really good. I think I may have suggested we turn around after I got bit in the ear.

    Love the mountain shot.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This will certainly be the trip to remember, unfortunately not for the pleasant memories.

    ReplyDelete
  18. So very glad to hear from you!! Seems like the Perils of Pauline!!! So many Mishaps on your 'little' adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Soiunds like you had Mr. Murphy following you around for awhile. Funny how bad luck seems to run in a series some times. Nice to be on the road again going somewhere eh:))

    ReplyDelete
  20. It is absolutely wonderful to see you blogging again. A post every once in a while is great fun!! Love the pups!

    ReplyDelete