Yup, that’s us in our Do Si Do outfits!!
So this time we decided to stay here on our way to Reno and tonight we are here again on our way back from Reno. Apparently the name is changing from Dance Country RV Park to McCloud RV Resort but whatever name you call it by, it’s a great park. You know how most websites put up pictures that make their place look wonderful but when you arrive, you wonder where the pictures were taken? I can honestly say that this is one park where the website pictures don’t do it justice.
Located just 9 miles from the junction of I-5 and Hwy. 89, this park is well worth the drive off the freeway. The sites are large and the ones we stayed in were completely level. Of course not all spots are concrete, some you park on gravel and some directly on the grass.
There are a couple of ponds and a little creek runs right through the park. The dogs love to get a drink of the fresh cold water and maybe get their toes damp, but they are definitely not water dogs. Rusty would have been lying smack dab in the middle of that water.
There are lots of open grassy areas and a large covered pavilion for group gatherings.
A river runs at the back of the property and it is from here that the little creek flows.
Yes, this park is a little on the spendy side at $39 for a 30 amp FHU site but you get what you pay for. Good to indulge once in a while! And how much is this view worth? (That’s our rig on the right)
Yes, that is the grand lady herself in the background, Mt. Shasta. Had a little cloud cover today so not a very good picture but it was still beautiful.
So aside from the loose dogs that I griped about before, I would definitely recommend this place. The dogs were not a problem this time and one came over to greet our pups. I let Jewel off leash and she did fine. Don’t quite trust Ollie enough to remove the leash and he wasn’t quite “friendly” but he did okay.
When we pulled in here the pups got so
Remember, this park is right on Hwy. 89 so there will be some highway noise. It didn’t bother us and it was quiet at night. It’s worth it in my opinion to be so conveniently located so the noise was not an issue for us.
We also visited the small town of McCloud. McCloud was a mill town in its heyday and the railroad ran through here to haul logs. We didn’t have time to do much more than drive through but would love to spend some time exploring the museums and such. Be aware there is not much in McCloud. There is a gas station and mini-mart across the street from the park and a grocery store across the highway. We saw one little café in town but don’t know if it was even open. Very small town, but then it is only 9 miles from Mt. Shasta City where you can eat at the Black Bear Diner and enjoy this view.
Here are some pictures taken from “downtown” McCloud.
Call me crazy, but I saw this guy running around town and I immediately thought …”I didn’t know John Hedges was in town.”
Just love those pups. Ollie rolling in the grass is just priceless. By the time we get back to grass our girls are not sure what it is or whether they should like it or not. Also like Black Bear diners. I can see why you thought that John had caught up to you.
ReplyDeleteWhat a neat place to stay! Oliver and Olivia just do not know how to handle the fresh green grass now that we are in Indiana.
ReplyDeleteYou are such a funny dear friend! And I don't know when, but we will show up and ask you to join us at that beautiful park!!!
ReplyDeleteOh my, this makes me so much want to be on the road again. Just 30 more days! Been a long time sitting in one place working in the oil field. BTW, Leonard and I met dancing - no square but country.
ReplyDeleteGorgeous area, beautiful park (especially nice for grass-rollin' pups) and you two are sweet! You must have a lot of happy memories of your square dancing days!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the recommendation. Do you know if that park is open year-round? When we see those high priced parks, we always say, uh yah, we're in California, not too many bargains to be found! ;-)
ReplyDeleteWe took your recommendation for the park in Bishop and it was every bit as wonderful as you said. Loved it. Now McCloud is just a bit too close to home for us, we are usually just getting going when we hit that junction, but this does certainly look like a great spot. We went on the railroad from McCloud and it was great fun. If we ever do it again, we can stay here! cool!
ReplyDeleteI'm pretty sure I'm still in Texas, it must be my Cousin Eddie.
ReplyDeleteYou both looked pretty snazzy in your dance outfits.
With Mt Shasta in the background and all that grass what more would you want in a park.
ReplyDeleteIt looks so peaceful in that park. I just love the photos of Mt. Shasta. The one with Russ looking at the bear is awesome!
ReplyDeleteMy Dad was a square dance caller, but I don't recall anyone having "do-si-do" outfits. Is that an Oregonian thing?
ReplyDeleteLooks like a great park, added it to our list. Pups look like they like it.
ReplyDeleteGreat park. I have a sister-in-law in an assisted living facility in Reno. We used to stop to see them every time we went west, and I went to see her when I made my trip.
ReplyDeleteI was amazed at how big Mt. Shasta is. Aside from being really big, I think it's because it stands alone that it seems to take up the whole sky! And just when you think you've passed it, there it is again.