October 2014

October 2014
Day Trip to Oakridge Oct 2014

Wednesday, January 14, 2015

A Final Farewell

We watched our beloved Therapy leave our driveway this morning for the last time – with someone else at the wheel.  

P1000472
We sold it to a couple from New Mexico, Bob and Diana.  Bob will be 86 in a couple of months and is a former Lazy Daze owner.  He wanted a new rig but the wait now to have one built is a year!!  Bob and Diana were happy to get the motor home and the Fit and we were glad they went to a good home.  Sorta like re-homing your pup!!  (well, maybe not quite!!)

P1000473

P1000474

Russ drove the Toyota and they followed him out to the freeway.  He got them headed southbound on I-5 so they are on their way home.  Good luck Bob and Diana and enjoy the rig.

As for us, I think we are done with travel.  If we want to go somewhere, we will stay at Mr. Marriott’s campground and let him take care of the maintenance and upkeep!  He can even make the bed and serve us a free breakfast!

I have nothing but the greatest respect for those who choose to travel in RVs so please do not think I am disrespecting you at all.  We have had an RV of one type or another most of our married lives – and we have enjoyed them.  We both grew up “camping” with our families and we continued that lifestyle with our kids.  Our dream was to continue that lifestyle into our retirement years.

But things have changed.  Russ has had too many problems with his diabetes for us to be comfortable with him driving the motorhome for long distances.  I can drive it, but I don’t enjoy it.  Plus the Lazy Daze seemed a lot smaller than we thought it was going to be and we just weren’t all that comfortable – especially when traveling with our poochies!!

And speaking of poochies – we are very happy with our two little mini-Aussies (actually they are registered now as Miniature American Shepherds).  I guess we found that we like dogs more than we like to travel.  Both dogs do great in the car and are fine day travelers but Ollie has problems with being in places that are new to him.  If you think of a child with autism, that would be about how Ollie reacts.  He cannot help it, it is just the way he is wired. He cannot handle too much sensory input.  We are helping him learn to deal with his issues but it is taking time, medication and patience to work through it all.  One trip in the motorhome with Ollie was about all I wanted to do!!

P1000078

We LOVE where we live – our old house, our big backyard, and our geographic location.  We can be at the lake or either one of our two local rivers in a matter of minutes.  We can be at the coast in an hour or in the mountains in just a little over an hour.  And I can do more of the driving and give Russ a break!!  

So don’t feel bad for us – we are right where we need to be and are still enjoying life.  I may write about our day trips from time to time or about our adventures with our little dogs.  It won’t be an RV blog but I feel I have become friends with so many of you that I don’t want to totally give up that sense of community.  I was going to start a whole new blog but what the heck - I LIKE you people!! I guess if what I write is of no interest to anyone then I will still have a written record for my own purposes.

And if any of you are in the Eugene area, please give us a call.  We’ll be here!!

5 comments:

  1. Oh we do love you two. You were so good to us when we visited you in Eugene. And thank you again for the wonderful surprise on our 30th Anniversary.

    You are so right...you are in an awesome location. So beautiful...and the Ducks are just down the road.

    Glad the kids are dong well. You will need to do a blog and update us on the grandkids. We got to know them so well when they came to visit you two. What are they up to now? A very creative group!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We all do what we need to do or even want to do when the time is right. It sounds like the time was right to say goodbye to Theraby. After all, Mr. Marriott or Mrs. Hilton do something RV parks don't do. They leave mints on your pillows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please do continue posting updates. I've always loved your blog. Enjoy traveling with our two pups (SUV, no RV) and it's such fun to read about other folks adventures with their dogs. You live in a gorgeous location. Your day trips will be awesome! Can't wait to read more and thank you for your blog. Very best wishes to you and the family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy to hear that Therapy went to a good home! We will definitely contact you if we get back to Eugene. Your dogs are so cute, we'd love to see more of your non-RV adventures and lots of puppy pics!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You sound so happy and that's what really matters. We lived almost 35 years in Oregon and know what drew you back to your own backyard...green, lush, beautiful Oregon. We look forward to reading whatever you have to share with us. Mr. Marriott sounds like a good place to stay anytime!

    ReplyDelete