October 2014

October 2014
Day Trip to Oakridge Oct 2014

Friday, May 18, 2012

Our Dirty Little Secret and Blogger Friends Come Calling

No one wants to talk about them but we all have them!  Those dirty little secrets that we only talk about behind closed doors or at the septic dump!  Yup, we all have them…black tanks that is.  We were having a problem with our gauge NOT registering empty even though we knew it was. 

We flushed and we rinsed and we even ran the rotating wand down the commode but it still would register 1/3 full all the time.  Now I know what causes this problem – it’s those little pieces of the Sears catalog that go down into the tank.  I know – they make special Sears Catalogs for RVers but we don’t always have those available and they are so expensive!!  So we do what we do and then we pray.  

So…after we tried everything else I said, “Bring me the Simple Green.”  I dumped about a quart of that stuff into the tank, added a bunch of water and WHOA…reminded me of the time when we were much younger and I thought it would be fun to add bubble bath to the Jacuzzi tub at the hotel we were staying in.  I thought we would NEVER get those bubbles to go down – but I digress. 

And by the way, when did the Simple P1050809Green become NOT Green?  When they came up with Simple Green lemon fresh, that’s when.  That stuff is NOT green, it’s as yellow as my pansies.  Just something not right about that.

So the bubbles that came back into the bowl were not that bad but they were there!!  I knew Simple Green would not retain the bubbles like the bubble bath did so we put about half a tank of water in and drove around several times last week, running over as many speed bumps as possible…they’re great for all kinds of agitation!! 

P1050787

We are very lucky to have a clean, accessible and FREE RV dump station just a couple of miles from our home.  Yesterday we did another dump and violà – the tank rinsed clean and the gauge shows a big “E”!  Yeah…and it smells better too!.  So that’s our dirty little secret – but now it’s our clean little secret.  Simple Green – works for lots of stuff.

This afternoon we got a call from Betty of Joe and Betty’s Adventures.  We had previously met Betty when we were in the Milwaukie, OR area, but Joe was not able to join us.   They were on a day trip today and asked if we were up for a visit.  OF COURSE we were!!  So Joe and Betty and Joe’s mom Viola, came and visited us in the back yard.

P1050793
Joe and Russ had a great time yakking and solving all the world’s problems.  Betty and I talked about Blogger books and flowers and just about everything else too!

P1050800a

Although Joe’s mom had never met us or read our blog, she was fascinated by the Blog Books and spent all her time looking them over.  This lady is 98 years old and still lively.

P1050797a

We had a great visit.  If any of you are ever in the area please know that you are welcome to give us a call and if we are home, we’d love to visit.  We have room for you to park your rig in the driveway.

P1050775

And we have a big backyard where we can sit and visit (but the house is usually a mess so come when it's sunny!).  The picnic table is really NOT curved.  This is a panorama the computer put together for me from three shots.  It did a pretty good job but there is some distortion.

backyard panorama1

Hope you all had as good a day as we did and don’t forget to give us a shout if you get close.  Our email info is in our profile or you can always call us on Russ’s cell phone – FIVE FOUR ONE – Eight seven zero – 0281. 

28 comments:

  1. Viola sure is enjoying your blog book. And your "campground" sure does look inviting. Not sure when we'll get your way but who knows what next year is going to bring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have room for you to park your rig in the driveway.

    NOW you're talkin'! Give us a minute to tie the cats down, and we'll be right there.

    We don't have a black tank, though, so it won't be exactly like Christmas Vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We really enjoyed our time with you today!! You have a beautiful home and backyard. I have never seen so many beautiful flowers in one back yard. I especially loved the fairy garden and Russ your "man garden" is great.

    I already forgot the .com to do the blog book :) We put 2nd Saturday at WAAM on the Calendar for next month. Hope you can make it too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a fun day once you got the dirty little problem taken care of. It's always fun to meet fellow bloggers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our plans go thru July 9th. In the Crater Lake area. We are going to "play it by ear" after that. If all goes well we may head up toward Eugene after that. I'd love to visit for a day...

    ReplyDelete
  6. We really enjoyed meeting blogger friends. It is so nice to be able to put a face to a name. We usually have so much to share just like your visit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks. I really must remember your driveway, sunny days only, if we get to follow our dream. It's looking less likely everyday but you never know ..... we might win lotto.

    John and I had a good chuckle over your dirty secret. I wonder where we can get Simple Green that's not green but yellow.

    Appreciate your regular comments too.

    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the invite! :) It will be a little while before we make our way over your way, but we're going to do it!! We are looking forward to seeing your lovely little corner of the country. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the invite; we'll take you up on it when we make it out to OR. Will keep your Simple "Not-So-Green" tip in mind :-)))

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ok now we have to have the race to see if we get to Oregon first for a visit or you get to Dardenne Prairie first for a visit.We both would so like to meet you guys, Russ and Sam would hit it off I am sure.And two Donna;s together would probably have the police called.We too have plenty of room to driveway camp or guest room camp.Please if you guys get this way let us know after all it's only halfway across the great country of ours. I am a simple green fan also, anything simple is good. be safe out there. Sam & Donna.

    ReplyDelete
  11. If/when we ever get out that way we'll be sure to look you up. I don't think our black water holding tank gauge has been accurate for years... guess Bill just dumps it when he thinks he needs to ;-) A Question: My blog no longer shows followers nor does it show comments. I see that when I view your blog it doesn't show followers either. Is it something I'm not doing right?... it used to and I don't think I've changed anything.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can see a new tag line for Yellow Simple Green.
    "We cover you RV job from top to bottom." or "We clean it all from white to black."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHA! Good ones - you should send them to the company!!

      Delete
  13. Love that header picture. I'll have to remember the Simple Green (yellow)

    ReplyDelete
  14. If we ever make to your neck of the woods, you bet we'll at least call! Appreciate knowing there is a haven if we need one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't know if it's actually a haven...you know what they say about any old port in a storm!!

      Delete
  15. I have used “Simple Green” many times over the years (I always thought the DOD had stock in the company because we used it for almost everything), but never in the Black Tank. Thanks for the tip. Thanks too for the invite to your “campground”!

    John and Ellen
    connectedtothevinephotography.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Is that your swimming pool that appears to be way off in the distance? And what is Russ' 'man garden'?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that is our pool. Not fancy by any means but still a hole in the ground filled with water - and heated by solar panels!! Russ's "man garden" is his little plot that he gets to do whatever he wants with. He filled it with low maintenance ferns and hostas but he did find that it's kinda fun to work in the earth.

      Delete
  17. Next trip to Oregon we'll give you a shout -- and hope that you're home. Simple Green is a wonder drug for cleaning all kinds of things. Never heard of anyone ever having a black tank gauge read E! You are one for the record books!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great trip on the Simple Green. I've heard of ice cubes being used to clean sensors but not this.

    You'd better be careful, you may have to install a computer system to take care of reservations for your new 'campground'.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well, we are another one who will plan to at least call if we are ever in your area of the world!! And we definitely plan to be in the next year or two!! Great pictures of your little corner of the world!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is a great tip on the Simple "Greellow". I have to try that. I have external sensors on my tanks and the black reads full all the time. I think the inside walls of the tank must have some slime on them giving a false reading.

    How much water did you put in the tank with the Simple Green?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I added about 1/3 tank of water and about a quart of Simple Green. We left it for about a week, driving it several times to slosh things around. Since we aren't full-timers, it was just the Simple Green and water in the tank so that probably helped. Not sure how it would work if you were actually using the tank but I don't think it could hurt!

      Delete
  21. My black has always read half full to completely full, since the day I bought it. I can figure out how full it is though, especially when boondocking, because I have one clean water tank, and when it's almost empty, usually the grey and black tanks need dumping soon. I'm okay as long as my clean water tank is showing correct levels.

    I keep close track of what's going on when I'm boondocking, but since I've been in this RV park, all bets are off. I forgot I closed the gray water lever and when I went to Walmart, and I didn't pull it open when I got back. The other day I was washing my hair in the kitchen sink and later went into the bathroom and saw my shower pan was full of water. That's never happened with no sewer hookup, because I HAVE to keep track then.

    Very interesting - the things you have to keep on top of when you're in an RV! Keeps our brains active. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Russ.... they have every kind of container you would ever hope to think u may need!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Simple Green to the rescue, or as we call it, Slimy Green. Maybe it should be re-named Mellow Yellow! Does the job, though. Love your backyard and driveway parking.

    ReplyDelete
  24. glad you tanks our new squeaky clean!!..another great meet and greet!!!

    ReplyDelete