So now we are home and will probably be here for most of the spring and summer. Therapy is tucked away in her little cabin and we have been working on getting her spic and span for our next trip, whenever that may be.
I just can’t go without flowers two years in a row!
I love these bold and showy blossoms but they sure don’t last long.
We planted 51 flower starts today…and that did not even finish one bed! Yeah, we got a ways to go yet. But we’re getting there.
Thankfully I had some volunteers from two years ago. These snapdragons are supposed to be annuals but they just keep coming back, for about three years now.
See all the dead leaves and crud around the plant? That is what it looked like all around the sweet gum tree.
This is what it looked like today after we finished planting.
In a few weeks, hopefully, we will have a nice bed of pink impatiens…with a few snapdragons thrown in just because I like them.
It’s probably been more than 25 years ago now that we were visiting Russ’s parents in Mill City, OR. They lived in a mobile home park and Russ’s Dad was always busy mowing all the neighbors lawns and the common areas. They always had a big garden and his mom managed to always have some colorful flowers as well. As we were leaving their house after our visit, I admired some little plants that were fighting their way up through the gravel of the parking area. I didn’t know what they were but Russ’s mom went and got a baggie and dug up one of those little plants and I carried it home in that baggie. From that tiny little start, this large shamrock plant has grown. It’s an old fashioned plant and some may not think it is worth much. But it means the world to me because of the kindness of Russ’s mother on that day. Each year it grows bigger and as the weather warms it becomes covered with tiny pink blossoms that open up each afternoon. The bees love it and I like to think it provides delicious nectar for their honey making enterprise. Russ’s mom has been gone for many years now but this plant lives on as a constant reminder of how a little kindness can go a long way – and can even outlast your lifetime.
By the way, I have always called it a shamrock plant but I’m really not sure. It doesn’t look exactly like any I have seen pictures of so if I am mistaken, please let me know.
So for a while we will not be using the picnic table for al fresco dining! Russ looks a little worse for wear, doesn’t he? Poor hard working fella!!
I think we might have a small problem here. There is something not right about this photo of the patio cover (yea, I know, it’s filthy. Pressure washer will be working overtime soon!)
But still, there are some parts that are looking pretty good!
Wherever you go in this journey called life, always remember to bloom where you are planted!
Great story aboit your MIL:)
ReplyDeleteWhat a sweet story -- a simple remembrance of kindness but yet so beautiful! Thanks for reminding us how the little things in life can mean so much to others.
ReplyDeleteI try to bloom where I'm uprooted.
ReplyDeleteMy mom always had a huge garden and LOTS of flowers, she planted over 400 bulbs in one place we lived!!! So i have some of her things i have moved from place to place, Iris, lentin rose & some other things i still need to dig up from the prior place i lived :) they are very special & she can live on thru her sharing ways...
ReplyDeletebloomin' great post!..love the story about the 'shamrock plant'!!
ReplyDeleteI think your plant is an Oxalis or false shamrock, I love looking around my garden and seeing plants that were my mothers or mother-in-laws.
ReplyDeleteI enjoy seeing all the spring flowers. I'm always amazed that despite all the rain (or maybe because of all the rain) the flowers bloom every spring, even without much sunshine. I only have lilacs, rhodies, and lilies of the valley, but I'm enjoying them. Today was the first day of spring power washing at our house!
ReplyDeleteIt takes work to have beautiful color in landscape. You guys have a back for that.
ReplyDeleteThank you for your commentary and discriptions of your trip through Oregon. Some day I'll get there.
ReplyDeleteNot wanting a whole lot of yard work, we've always lived in townhomes, and have bricked over the patio with just some small beds and window boxes for flowers. We brought the balcony window boxes to the rental and Mui has planted some geraniums which will give us color for most of the rest of the year.
ReplyDeleteI think the most special flowers are the ones that someone gave you from their own garden. Those bring back memories and love every year they bloom. Love your story... keep us posted how your flowers bloom...
ReplyDeleteLove, love, love any and all flowers. That is one thing I miss so much about this life style. My snapdragons always came back the next year and multiplied. After a few years, I would plant new because they began to grow very tall but few flowers. My inpatients also came back up year after year. I had so many, I would transplant them in another garden area. I even gave tons away.
ReplyDeletePlease post more pictures as those lovely little flowers grow. I will get my flower fix through your garden!
Beautiful flowers! And such a beautiful story to go along with them!
ReplyDeleteI've been working in my little flower area I left when we started RVing. It suffered last year in our absence and the super hot summer. We'll see what happens now with it, but I try not to become too attached!!!
Can't really say I can tell one flower from another but I do like all the colors.
ReplyDeleteWe have so much green on the property it is incredible, so my "excuse" for planting flowers is that the color breaks up the green! Besides, I so enjoy digging in the dirt and it is indeed therapy!
ReplyDeleteEnjoyed the story about the Shamrock plant. The yard sounds like it will be a beautiful place to enjoy the summer days with all the beautiful flowers. Enjoyed following along on your trip and all the places you shared.
ReplyDeleteUsed to have a ton of flowers before my hours increased, something had to give, some of my favorites were always lillies and flags, easy to maintain and spread. I have a peony bush my mom took from her mom's yard and then I took from her when she passed. being of an old fashioned variety its scent is so strong you cant be in the same room.
ReplyDeleteUr flowers are beautiful...that one resembles oxalis but I'm thinking it might be creeping phlox. No matter the name, it's pretty. I love the flowers also and HAVE to have fresh tomatoes. lol Hard to do when we travel tho. I've been planting mostly perenniels (sp) so we won't have too much work to do but must have some annuals for the color. Looks like Russ has lots to do but he looks like he's enjoying it too.
ReplyDelete