October 2014

October 2014
Day Trip to Oakridge Oct 2014

Monday, February 13, 2012

Therapy Goes For a Ride

Sunday was a cloudy but warm day and Therapy was raring to get out of her corral and hit the road.  After a stop at Subway for some picnic sandwiches, we headed south on I-5 towards Cottage Grove.  This small scenic town is about 20 miles or so from Eugene and just out of town to the east is Dorena Lake.  It’s a reservoir really, but everyone calls it a lake.  The lake is fed by the Row (rhymes with “cow”) River.  There is a wonderful walking and biking trail all around the lake.

We stopped on the north side of the lake first.  I was amazed at how low the water was.  The reservoir is drawn down for flood control but I had never seen it this low.  In the summer, all of that exposed area is covered with water.
P1030526

One advantage of the low water was this sighting of the rare and elusive Oregon Alligator!

ore3gon alligator


We also noted these strange holes in the bank of the river.  Does anyone have any idea what these could be?  Russ thinks the holes are made by some kind of bird.  I have no idea.

holes

We drove clear around the lake to the south shore where there is a county park, Baker Bay.  This area contains a campground (no hook-ups), boating facilities, concessions, and a large picnic area.  This is a popular area in the summer but everything was closed for the winter except for a small parking lot.  We parked Therapy and had our picnic.

Therapy at Dorena2


Dorena Lake


P1030532

I could not believe that someone would actually back WAAAY down the boat ramp onto the mud to get their boat into the water.  They say this lake is a premier catfishing area but I don’t think I would take a chance.  Look close and you can see the boat in the upper third of the photo. 

boat ramp

We used to take our boat out on this lake when the kids were little.   Sometimes we would fish or sit and eat sandwiches, but mostly the kids wanted to ski or knee board.  One time we were getting ready to take off after we had taken a time out for lunch.  The boat was struggling to get going and Russ just kept giving it more power trying to get going.  It finally took off and at that point a broken rope started flapping around on the surface of the water.  Somewhere at the bottom of this lake lies our lost boat anchor!  Here’s a short video clip of John kneeboarding on Dorena about 30 years ago!



I wonder what this airplane was doing out here? 

plane


plane2

We didn’t see him land so not sure what was going on.

We had a great day and Therapy got a much needed run.    Looks like the weather is not going to be that great the rest of the week so we’re glad we got out and about for a little while.   It was a good day.

23 comments:

  1. aha! I just realized your RV is named Therapy! I just recently started reading your blog and I love the pictures... and well, Oregon.

    Therapy is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though it was only an exercise run for Therapy I'm sure the urge was there to miss the driveway on the way home.

    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks like a great place to spend the day - I used to love daytrips. In the weeks before I started full-timing, I loved spending the day parked at the beach, just enjoying The Palms. You brought back some good memories. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the plane was flown by a retired Navy pilot who was practicing carrier landings using the fishing boat as the target. Just a guess!

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice to get out and experience a day trip with 'Therapy'..I could do with some 'therapy' right about now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anything to cure that hitch itch for Therapy. And never underestimate the determination of a fisherman.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Was that a real plane or a Radio Controlled plane. Joe says we need to pick up a couple of subs take a little trip to Eugene sometime. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds like another good day trip for you guys and Therapy. And easy on the budget, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you should have just kept going! That's one of the reasons we don't take the rig out, last time we went for a few weeks and stayed 5 years!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks like an awesome day, and great exercise run! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice exercise day for Therapy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like a great day out to me. I especially liked the way you did the collage ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like Therapy got the exercise and you got the benefits! ~wheresweaver

    ReplyDelete
  14. I bet you can see spring at the end of the tunnel. Isn't it great to get out even for a day trip? Nice blog and pictures

    Just BS!(Bob and Sue)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Since there are numerous holes, I'd guess a colony of bank swallows nested there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful day you had! It must have been nice to have the place to yourselves. Your beautiful pictures make me want to visit the area too!
    Candy

    ReplyDelete
  17. You had me going for a minute with the Oregon Alligator, Donna! I'm sure you know just how lucky you are to live in Oregon where such beautiful places surround you. Why, you're on vacation all the time!!!

    Love your blog and pictures. I've been meaning to ask you. Did you ever see "Sometimes a Great Notion"? Paul Newman, Henry Fonda, etc. about a family in the logging industry. I think you might enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good to hear you guy's are out and about. Hope the nice weather finds you again soon. Happy Valentines to you both. Will have to remember to watch out for those Oregon gators.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love those Oregon alligators! Therapy is good for the soul..

    ReplyDelete
  20. That video of me couldn't possibly be 30 years ago, I'm not even that old!

    ReplyDelete
  21. @ Redphotog...don't you wish!!! :)

    ReplyDelete