Although I use Photoshop Elements 10 for most of my editing work, I find making collages with that program cumbersome and decidedly UNuserfriendly. It is especially difficult to incorporate text with your collages. If you use Photoshop and want to see more on making collages with that program, here’s a link to a tutorial on You Tube that will tell you more than I could in this space. There are lots of free Photoshop tutorials on You Tube, some are better than others, but many are very helpful.
I have tried many photo editing programs over the years but the one I keep going back to and the program I use for collages is Microsoft's Digital Image Suite 10. This is an old program and has not been supported by Microsoft since 2009. No matter how I try to wean myself away from this program, I find myself going back to it often for certain applications. It is intuitive for users of Microsoft products and, although it does have its quirks and is a memory hog, it is a powerful program that does most everything the hobbyist photographer could want to do. This program is old and no longer supported, it is still available on Amazon from several merchants. I run this program with Windows 7 even though it is not listed as a compatible program.
With Digital Image, I simply start with a blank canvas. I can size it whatever I want – usually 16X20 and that gives me room to work and to down size it later for web publishing. I draw a rectangle on the canvas from corner to corner and fill that rectangle with color. Then I adjust the transparency and add a gradient. Sometimes I add a second color following the same procedure. I can also add any number of textures to the background for special effect. I save the background under its own name so that I can reuse it for future collages without starting from scratch.
I open all the photos I want to use. With Digital Image, I can just drag the photos from my files sidebar onto the background. From there I can resize the image to whatever I want it to be, and add special effects such as soft edges or frames. I can move the image anywhere I want to place it within the the background and free rotate it as many degrees as desired. After I have all my images placed, I add whatever text I want. Digital Image has a wide selection of fonts to choose from and it is so easy to move text around. One thing I really like about this program is the flexibility to move things around and format which picture is on top when I want to use an overlapping photo design.
Here’s a collage I created in about 10 minutes using Digital Image.
The other option is to use Picasa. This is the easier option, and it does allow for some creativity, but it does not have the options that you have with Digital Image. I downloaded Picasa 3.9 and played around with it a bit. This is really a neat program if you just want to make a quick collage.
Here’s a quick one I did with Picasa. First make a new album and place all the photos you want to use in your collage in that album. Select the album and then select Create, Picture Collage. This is what I got without any editing.
I selected a matching pink from the flower for the background, changed the orientation and size of the canvas, and selected one of the collage templates.
I was unable to edit my photos from the collage program so they would need to be corrected prior to making the collage. I was also unable to move the photos within the designated frames to allow for better positioning. I suppose if I cropped them beforehand it would work better. Adding text is not hard but there are not a lot of options.
I also made a collage without using a template. I was able to change the size and positioning of the photos but could not control which photo was on top. In this example, I added a border around the photos and positioned them randomly. I accidentally got two of the same photo in here but you get the idea anyway, I’m sure
In conclusion, I guess the easiest and least expensive option is to download Picasa 3.9 and go from there. When you download this program it will scan your hard drive and create a library of all your photos. There are some neat things you can do from here such as using face recognition to organize photos and eliminating duplicates. I am no expert on Picasa as I just downloaded 3.9 last night, but it is free and the learning curve is not too steep. Just play around with it and don’t worry about making a mistake. You get as many do-overs as you want. The other programs I mentioned are available for purchase – it just depends on what you want to do and how much fooling around with pictures you plan to do. I love the editing and messing around with pictures so for me it’s all good. Hope I haven’t confused you too much and if I have raised more questions than I have answered, just email me and I’ll try to get a better answer to you – if I know one that is!! Happy collaging!!
Yup, taking pictures is fun. Then I just give 'em to Donna, and she makes 'em look good! What a wonderful life with a wonderful wife!
ReplyDeleteFor Mac users "Collage Creator Lite" is available free for a limited period of time. Don't know how good it is, but I'm going to try it.
ReplyDeleteDonna and Russ, just for the heck of it, I downloaded it and tried it and had a collage done in less that 10 minutes as a test. I'll have to fool with it to put flowers, etc., but for a first try it came out pretty good!
ReplyDeleteDonna Thanks so much for the tutorial. It is a great start to get the creative juices flowing. I think I even have that Microsoft Program from years ago. I just assumed it wasn't compatible as so often they are not. Good to know.
ReplyDeleteRuss is such a romantic !
Just BS!(Bob and Sue)
Wish I had more of a desire to learn these things but my mind just seems to shut down. I do have the Digital Imaging Suite on my computer and use it occasionally.
ReplyDeleteamazing what you can learn on the internet and from fellow bloggers!..I use Picasa for the collages..find it to be user friendly and free!!..unless you count the cost of the storage!
ReplyDeleteI used to make a few collages with Picasa but I haven't done it lately. You have inspired me, Donna!
ReplyDeleteDonna,
ReplyDeleteNice instructions. I know how to create collages in Photoshop, but I never have gotten as detailed as the ones you do, they are really great.
And thanks to hobopals, I downloaded "Collage Creator Lite" and will give it a look see. As you know, I LOVE playing with pictures in the computer.
Kate
One more thing Russ, do you think if I send my pictures to Donna, she'll fix them for me?
ReplyDeleteDonna ... a good tutorial.
ReplyDeleteYou can edit photos from the collage by selecting the one you want to edit and then clicking the "view and edit" button below. Although you can shuffle the pictures by clicking the button, or drag and drop them around within the collage, you're right that the templates don't provide much flexibility. I use the 'picture pile' template for the most flexibility.
Before I started using Picasa for collages, I made my collages in PowerPoint by inserting the photos and adding text boxes. Then I'd group all the elements and save as a picture ... was painless, and quick and easy.
I'm going to go check out Collage Creator Lite now.
I use both Picasa and Photo Elements. Picasa is much easier for the beginner. You did a great job explaining how to make a collage in Picasa. Good job! ~wheresweaver
ReplyDeleteThanks Donna! I am still using my old favorite program, Adobe PhotoDeluxe. I'm so afraid when I eventually have to get a new computer, that it won't be supported anymore! And you've reminded me that I need to do a backup with your post ;-)
ReplyDeleteI like playing with photo programs, I downloaded photoscape from CNet a few months back to get a specific template for a project. It's a free program, but I've not really played with it much to see what all it can do.
Thanks again & you are so lucky to have Russ in your life. You guys are great!
Thanks so much, Donna. I might try printing out your blog to help me visualize exactly what you're saying... You make it look easy, but I know I'll work hours on it before I get anywhere. The people who write in about the "support system" among bloggers sure have it right! You all are a Godsend!
ReplyDeleteGood explanation of Picasa's Collage feature, Donna.
ReplyDeleteI'd only add one thing. You don't really have to create an album and put all the photos in it before creating a collage. You can just go to any album you have, hold down the 'CTRL' key and then click on all the photos you want in your collage; then go to Create > Picture Collage and that's it!
Thanks for the info Rick - I knew I must be missing something!! I was using photos from two different albums so thought I needed to put them into one album before creating the collage. Thanks again.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed that tutorial, Donna, and even though I have used Picasa for a long time I never knew there was a template for the collage. Geez. The only thing I worry about is losing Picasa as a desktop application when Google changes everything...again...
ReplyDeleteI use to do digital scrapbooks for my kids (grown now) and did them all on Photoshop Elements. There is a big learning curve but now its just second nature to use it. I haven't really done any collages for my blog but now you've got me thinking about it. Thanks for sharing how you do it.
ReplyDelete