October 2014
Day Trip to Oakridge Oct 2014
Monday, April 16, 2012
UH-OH…and I think it’s a big one!!
We are in Pendleton, Oregon tonight at the Wild Horse Casino RV park. We may be here awhile. I had a blog planned about our trip today and some cool pictures … BUT…
As we were pulling off the I-84 at the Casino exit, Russ stepped on the brake, as one normally does to stop a vehicle. We heard a terrible screech and smelled something hot. He thought maybe the tow brake locked up so he took off easy and barely made the turn when we knew something was WAY wrong.
We made it over the overpass and pulled over…that was scary. Just barely off a very busy road with trucks and cars whizzing by just inches from where we were parked. I went back to the Fit and took the Easy Brake off, thinking it was malfunctioning.
Russ took off again but we were not towing, we were dragging. Nothing to do but drag it a few hundred feet into the casino gas station. It dragged so hard that the tow bar was hyper-extended and the pins would NOT release. We tried moving the Fit up a bit but it would not move…couldn’t push it, couldn’t move it with the engine – period amen. Finally backed up the Motor home a bit and that took the pressure off enough for us to unleash the Fit.
We were not quite in a parking place so we both tried pushing the Fit up a bit but it was NOT going anywhere. We thought maybe it was out of oil or transmission fluid but there were no idiot lights showing. We opened the hood to have a look and this is what we found:
Not sure what this means but it can’t be good! Russ called Coach Net and they arranged for a tow. He is gone with the tow truck to Gilbert Honda in Pendleton. Hopefully there is a rental car agency nearby so we can get some wheels while we are stuck. I swear, that Fit has had just one too many fits!!!
At least it waited until we were pulling off the freeway to break and at least we are in a nice park with full hook-ups. Don’t know if this is covered under warranty so guess I will know more when Russ gets back. Other than this it was a nice trip today!!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I don't know what I'm looking at either. However, what an awful thing to happen. We had an "eek" towing once too. Going up the hills around Grants Pass one arm of our towbar came off. We had a tough time getting the other one off because of the angle. Obviously we just happened to be in a spot without a shoulder and even though we were mostly off the road and there was very little traffic, everyone that passed in the far left lane felt they had to honk. Not sure what they were telling us but it was annoying.
ReplyDeleteHoping this can be fixed fast and that it's under warranty. Keep us posted!!
That doesn't look good at all. I hope you hear some good news about it....whatever that might be.
ReplyDeleteNot being mechanical, I don't know what looks bad. Good luck.
ReplyDeleteDoesn't look good, but all things can be fixed. I agree that it was good that it happened as you were pulling off the freeway and had a good camping area right there. Best of wishes for an easy and inexpensive fix on the fit.
ReplyDeleteEeek, that looks ugly. Hope it's nothing minor and you're back on the road quickly!
ReplyDeleteBoy, your post brought me back to two harrowing incidents we had one in 1999 and another in 2003. My heart was in my mouth. Glad you could get to safety, and hope you're covered under warranty. I didn't really know what I was looking at, but it looked as though something cracked, which makes me think things will go in your favor. Car companies don't want the word spread that something stresses and breaks under the hood. Good luck. I look forward to an update. Glad you have a nice place to stay.
ReplyDeleteAfter our two dangerous incidents, we just had to shake it off and chalk it up to traveling with a motorhome.
Well, there's always the good with the bad... the good: no accident and you're in a safe place the bad: I don't know a thing about brakes so what can I say? Just glad that you two are okay!
ReplyDeleteI hope you get some good news, or at least news that it's a fixable problem for not too much money. My guess is that you'll be spending some more time in Pendleton. At least they have good wifi at that park!
ReplyDeleteAt least you are safe
ReplyDeleteAt least the Fit picked a nice park to break down by. I stayed there a few nights a couple of years ago. Hoping Russ gets everything worked out without having to throw a fit.
ReplyDeletesafe and sound is the most important thing, Donna!..metal and mechanical stuff can be fixed!..
ReplyDeletetake care and don't worry!
Hope it gets fixed soon. I couldnt imagine dealing with a towing problem by myself. Good thing you were near a parking place
ReplyDeleteNot being able to move the Fit is not a good thing but I sure hope they can get it fixed under warranty. Glad you guys are safe.
ReplyDeleteGlad it didn't happen whilst zipping down I-84!!! That you r both safe & sound AND with full hook-ups. Take Care!!
ReplyDeleteSo glad you two made it safely. That had to be a very scarey situation. Hopefully, the warranty will kick into place.
ReplyDeleteWe have Coach Net also. They were excellent the one time we needed them.
It's so nice when God protects us thru scary situations. Hopefully, it will be an easy fix and you'll be back on the road. Glad you and Russ are safe and sound!
ReplyDeleteLike everyone else is saying, just glad you are both safe.
ReplyDeleteKind of looks to me like a motor mount, but I can't really tell. HAS to be under warranty, since it should not fail. Looks like there was a hairline crack in the aluminum casting.
ReplyDeleteBest of luck getting it fixed. Hope your insurance company also covers the cost of a rental.
OUCH! Safely off the road just in time and at a good location. That is better than luck. Wishing you well on the repairs.
ReplyDeleteOUCH! Safely off the road just in time and at a good location. That is better than luck. Wishing you well on the repairs.
ReplyDeleteTo focus on the positive, you managed to get off the road safely. Have no idea what the picture is showing, but that Fit 'ouchie' doesn't look good at all. Hopefully it's a simple fix with a replacement part; and is not too unkind to your wallet.
ReplyDeleteThat sure looks like a part that should never shear off. Has to be a warranty matter I would think. It's bolted on so it looks to be a piece that can be replaced.
ReplyDeleteHappy to hear you are safe and have good WiFi too!
ReplyDeleteSharon
Waiting to hear!
ReplyDeleteWell that doesn't look good. It looks like something might be defective. I hope they cover it.
ReplyDeleteYuck! But, so grateful that you were able to get off the road safely. Hope the repairs are covered and you're back on the road soon.
ReplyDeleteSo sorry to hear about your mishap! From your photo and looking at my own 2009 Fit, your right upper McPherson strut mount has partially broken off. (The McPherson strut is the combined shock absorber/spring assembly.)
ReplyDeleteMy best guess is that your toad braking system malfunctioned and locked up the Fit's brakes--possibly due to accidental triggering of its breakaway switch--and the resulting sudden extreme forces on the front suspension broke loose the right upper strut mount. The left one may be damaged as well.
And I hate to say it, but you may also find flat spots on your Fit's tires, where they were dragged across the pavement while locked. Be sure to have them carefully inspected before you get back on the road.
If my guess is correct, the fault (and liability) probably lies with the braking system's manufacturer. Be sure to document everything with photos, and save all paperwork, to support you when filing a claim.
Again, my condolences, and keep us posted on what happens!
Andy Baird
http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
An RVing friend sent me this link in response to my FB post that I was going to buy a Honda Fit to tow since I've had nightmares with the 2009 Ford Escape that was supposed to be flat towable but is not, at least not safely and without axles falling off, like mine did. Would like to know what you found out caused the problem - was it a defect in the Fit or with the braking system as suggested? Sure would like to hear from you. Many thanks, Malia Lane
ReplyDeleteMalia I hope you check back and see the answer. I could not reply to you by email as you have your email set to "no-reply". We have had no further problems with the Fit since we changed the braking system. We no longer have the Even Brake and the Fit tows fine. There is some evidence I have read that small cars can tend to wander when being towed and securing the steering wheel with opposing bungee cords solves the problem. You can search Motor Home magazine for info on this. Don't know if that was our problem or not. I still tend to blame operator error on the way we handled the tow brake. Guess we will never know for sure. We still have the Fit and it's working fine. A word of caution, if you plan to go off-road at all, consider something with higher clearance. The Fit is NOT a good car to go anywhere there is not pavement.
DeleteDonna, thanks so much for finding me on FB and getting this message to you. No idea about the "no reply" setting or how to change that, so glad we connected. I'm taking your advice and looking at all your posts about the Fit, but am glad to see this response. I hadn't heard that about the steering wheel, so thanks for that tip. I do know it's a "low rider" and I'm not an off-roader, so that doesn't bother me. Thanks again and I'm glad we can keep in touch on FB, too. Oh, goodie, and I see the subscribe by email link, so gonna do that, too. Happy trails and towing!
ReplyDelete