April 2011

April 2011
Boondocking at my brother's in Reno, April 2011

Saturday, January 18, 2014

Changes

Some changes are really simple – like the changes I made on the blog.  I have been offline for several days while I fiddled with some things.  I finally got a check from Google Ads.  I made $104. in three years!!!  So the ads are gone.  I would have taken them down sooner but I was determined to get that $100 by golly and they don’t pay until you reach that threshold.  I also cleaned up my blog roll.  I had blogs on there that haven’t posted in several years so it was time to go.  Hope I didn’t delete anyone who is still active.

I messed with the template and colors and in the end decided I like what I have so I’ll just leave it for now.  Might change it later.


Some changes are just strange!  Since we live in rainy, cold Oregon, Russ and I decided we needed to get some exercise indoors…so we went to the mall.  Now understand, we are NOT mall people and it has literally been years since we walked around Valley River Center, Eugene’s main shopping mall.  WOW!!  Talk about change.   It was like entering a different world.  The lights, the smells, the displays…all were fun to look at since we were just walking and not shopping.  We found the perfect companion to Al’s Spencer.  Al and Kelly, I think you guys got a real bargain on Spencer!!

P1050449

We saw some very colorful wigs and hair extensions.  Did you ever wonder what you would look like in green hair?  Me neither!!
P1050453

The mall is full of slot machines.  Put your money in the slot and you get something EVERY time.  Good thing there is room to walk it off.
P1050465

And then there were the fashions.  Man O man, am I ever out of it.  Can you imagine paying $68.50 for something like this?  When I was a teenager, we called these rags and wouldn’t be caught dead wearing them. 
P1050459

But of course, our parents probably despaired over our bell bottoms, mini-skirts, and tie dye!  Remember these?
hippie clothes 3
hippie clothes 1















I’m not sure how anyone can walk in these but the salesgirl assured me they are the height of fashion.
P1050471

I did find one thing at the mall that I especially liked.  I tried to buy him but the store said he was priceless!  I had to agree.
P1050469

One thing that really caught our eye was the display of wind spinners. (music added)



But there was one thing that I just could not understand.  This is something I have never seen before and I was amazed.  The video is from a promo tape they were playing.  There were no live customers. (scream added!)



I suppose that process is no more painful than waxing, but I wouldn’t want to do that either. 

Well, we can’t say our trip to the mall was boring.  We laughed a lot and had a good time just being old geezers.  It’s amazing how places change when you are away from them for a while.  But then I guess change is something that always happens, in all areas of life, ready or not.

33 comments:

  1. I think Russ might sneak back and get one of those wigs. The grands would love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure they had one in my size, or my color!

      Delete
  2. I love your header photo.

    Yea, a trip to the mall these days is very entertaining. I can't image sitting in one of those chairs out in the middle of the mall and having someone do I eyebrows...just crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I detest shopping so seldom ever go to a mall. Now, your blog here just might change my mind. I think I can now go with more open eyes...... naw, probably not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No John, Russ is more of a piercings type of guy! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, he pierces his tummy several times a day LOL!!

      Delete
    2. Sure, go ahead, make fun of me just because I keep running into things!

      Delete
  5. What a riot that MALL WALK was ...... Hard to imagine all the changes .... Kinda like a time capsule ..... Those eyebrow string demos were uptown to say the least !!!!! Thanks for passing on the LATEST !!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that mall, and like you I love it when I don't plan to buy anything but just want to walk when we are boondocking in their parking lot. So, just curious....I am in south texas and as I read your blog, I get an ad for a south texas ford dealer here just below the comment section. Interesting...I don't imagine you are getting that same ad. Sorry, I don't click on ads, so I had nothing to do with your 100 bucks. I kinda hate em.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems Google still feeds ads depending on your location. As far as I can figure out, that's one way they keep Blogger free. I got an ad for a local Honda dealership. I could be wrong about the ads but that's the best I can figure.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, I think Google and the NSA always know exactly where you are, and would like to sell you something, anything!

      Delete
    3. Sue, I found a setting I had missed and fixed it. Thanks for pointing this out. No more ads - YEAH!!

      Delete
  7. Well, it sounds like you didn't spend that $104 at the mall. I prefer walking at the mall before the stores open, but that doesn't usually happen! Great header picture, although I hated to see the Fort Stevens picture go.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like your nice, clean blog look! I NEVER go to the mall anymore. I can't stand crowds! BOO!
    ~~Cheryl Ann~~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We tried to get there before the stores opened but we were too slow as usual. No crowds though so we were happy. I don't like crowds either.

      Delete
  9. What a fun post! I love the videos....the wind chimes are so pretty and all I can say about the other one is that I am glad I am my age...sure wouldn't want to go thru that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sometimes you have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find your prince.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate it when I get frog slime all over my lips! ♥

      Delete
    2. Well, just keep at it, you're bound to find your prince some day!

      Delete
  11. I find malls to be one of the last places I like to be... except for people watching. It beats the beach as most people come with clothes on....

    ReplyDelete
  12. You know, the best thing about being an old geezer is when you realize you are one, and it just doesn't matter. Most of us old geezers are pretty darn happy.

    When AdSense cut me off, I had almost $100. I didn't get anything. I'm glad you stuck it out and got your money!

    I haven't been in a mall for sooo long. I used to like them, though, I could spend all my money on clothes and have high credit card bills, buy a two pound box of See's Candies and gain a few more pounds, etc. So glad I'm not doing that anymore!

    I never used the mall for walking, but I know there are a lot of mall-walkers who get there before the stores open, and that's a great idea. You have lots of things to see in the store windows as you walk, so it's not boring. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really like the new look! Took Google Ads off my old blog a while back as I figured it wasn't worth the (lack of) money. Again, nice look!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good for you in deciding to go ad-less. Blog looks better & it is easier on readers if they don't have to dodge around all that commercial ad stuff. I've been tempted different times to put some ads on but common sense prevailed. Not very often I am in a mall so when I do occasionally find myself in one I have a tendency to notice all the neat store windows, colors, displays, etc. Also find it is easier on me if I am in a mall by myself with no pressure to go in this store or that store. I think Russ really needs to take that Frog home..........

    ReplyDelete
  15. The blog looks nice!
    Can't remember the last time we were in a mall.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I had 'threading' done and really liked it, BUT the pulling sensation took a bit to get used to!!! but it was NOT as bad as the waxing, just sayin!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very interesting, Loree. I had never heard of such a thing. Just goes to show how behind the times I am!!

      Delete
  17. I agree in that I really like your header. It's a great photo. Sometimes a trip to the mall is more than a shopping trip. Looks like a fun time.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've seen girls having their eyebrows shaped using that tread method, but I still don't know how it works.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Okay, you have inspired me to take a look at my blog for some cleanup and updates:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Do I remember those clothes? Not only do I remember them but still have them in my closet and wear them regularly. Maybe that's why people give me funny looks?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Threading is actually very popular in the Middle East; a lot less painful than waxing. They had a little booth like the one you saw at he mall not far from where we lived in northern VA ... very popular. Thanks for going ad-less.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your new look is neat and tidy. I have had threading done, it does not hurt and it lasts much longer than waxing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am not a mall person like you guys and it always amazes me the crazy things I see there when I do go in one.

    ReplyDelete