April 2011

April 2011
Boondocking at my brother's in Reno, April 2011

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

A New Bird and Some Enchiladas to Start 2014

Whew, we’re tired!!  Had a houseful of teenagers since the day after Christmas.  Two stayed the entire time and they were joined by their 3 local teenaged cousins at various times.  A couple of overnight visits ensued and last night was a New Year’s watch party with all 5 spending the night.  They all went home this morning leaving behind a lot of memories and a lot of laundry!!

I realized as I waved goodbye that I had neglected to take one single picture the entire time!  I must be getting old – I know I feel old.  Even though they are pretty self-sufficient and clean up after themselves better every year, I still have a hard time maintaining my energy levels.  I think it might be time to let one of the parents host these school vacation marathons – maybe!!

Anyway, teenagers left and our oldest grandson arrived – bearing enchiladas!  Tim is 25 and is almost finished with getting a degree in electrical engineering.  He also works full time and has put himself through school as he can afford.  He lives in Portland and between school and work, we don’t get to see him very often.  I am proud of Tim.  He is also a fine cook and he brought us some of  his homemade chicken enchiladas.  I made some rice to go with them and we had a fine feast.  It’s not often that visitors come bearing food so this was a very special and tasty treat.

P1050333a


Russ noticed what he thought was a robin in the yard the other day.  We have been trying to get a better look at this bird but it is shy and fast and I haven’t been able to get a photo.  Today he showed up and I managed to snap a couple of shots before he disappeared.  Photos were taken through the window in a hurry so they are not very clear but there is no mistaking this guy – it is a male varied thrush.  I looked it up and it is on the Audubon Society’s watch list.  I’m not sure what that means but it made me feel special that one came to visit our house ha-ha!!

P1050336a


P1050335a

Isn’t he beautiful?  He looks more blue in person and the orange on his throat is just brilliant.  I am happy to see this fella in my yard.  How blessed we are to have a big picture window and a yard that attracts birds.

Happy New Year to all and wishing everyone a safe and prosperous 2014.

17 comments:

  1. I can just imagine how tiring that could me. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year to both of you...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't even image a house full of teenagers.

    Boy does Tim have a ton going for him. He sounds like a very self-reliant young man. And a cook to boot. Wish he lived closer to Houston, we have a daughter looking for a guy just like him...lol

    Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year to you both and we're waiting to hear about more of your travels coming up. Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, by the time I have teen age grandkids (if ever) I will definitely be way too old to have them around for vacations. Smart, good looking and he can cook - boy did you guys do something right. Happy New year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful bird! Tim and Russ aren't too bad, either! Get some rest now, Grandma.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tim should do well in life, working while putting himself through school shows a lot of ambition.
    Next time the grand-kids gather a little super glue on the floor should slow them down a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a find! And you got a great photo.... what a way to start the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't think I have ever seen a Varied Thrush. Beautiful colors. Sure is nice to be able to sit back in a comfortable environment & watch all the birds outside on wintery cold days. All the best to you & your birds in the new year:))

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy New Year Russ & Donna!
    You have way more energy than I could muster up.
    Sounds like it's time to sit back and relax for a bit.

    Always enjoy your loving posts.

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  11. It made me tired just reading about having all those kids around!
    Nice looking bird. Now I'll know what it is if I ever see one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You sure are wonderful grandparents for hosting a house full of teens for so long. A lot of laughs and good times for sure but very, very tiring I'll bet.

    Great looking Enchiladas too - what a nice, thoughtful surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  13. If the varied thrush is on a watch list, it might be that their numbers are decreasing. Sometimes for unknown reasons. It's a beautiful bird!

    You have more stamina than I to have so many kids around for so long a time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful bird. I know it always make me feel special when I see wildlife ... bird or otherwise ... that is on a watchlist. You have more stamina than I do ... I can't even imagine having that many teenagers in one place, let alone hosting them. Despite the work, I bet you had a marvelous time with them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like you had a great time over the holidays. I love the pictures

    ReplyDelete
  16. A house filled with love, laughter and lively teens! Wow, what an energy siphon. I can't even imagine the difference of a home with just you and Russ transforming to you, Russ and the kiddos!

    Did you ask for the enchilada recipe?

    The bird is so pretty. I hope to see one during my lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
  17. can see why you would think it was a robin at a glance, but close up much prettier....house full of teenagers, you kiddo deserve a medal.

    ReplyDelete