April 2011

April 2011
Boondocking at my brother's in Reno, April 2011

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Google Photo Storage

I recently received an email from Google stating that my storage plan was about to expire and needed my attention.

When I went to check my account at Google, this was the first screen I saw.
Untitled-1
I currently have the 80 GB storage plan for $20 annually.  Notice it says this plan is no longer available.  I almost didn’t read further and was about to select the 100 GB plan when I decided to do what I should have done in the first place and read further.

Clicking on the “learn more” link brought me to this page showing the old vs. the new storage plans.  The old pricing plans are annual and the new ones are all monthly.
Untitled-2 copy

Not to bore you with all the screen prints…another page listed the smallest plan now available is 25 GB for $2.49 monthly.  That is more than I pay now for the 80 GB plan.

If you slog your way through all the new plan information, you will eventually see where you can keep your old plan but there are conditions.  You can read them below.  It’s a good thing I checked my account info as my credit card has a new expiration date and I had not updated it.  According to the new rules, if you make any changes to your storage plan OR if payment information is not up to date, you lose your old plan. 
Untitled-5
So, just a heads up.  If you use Google for storing your photos, make sure you update your account when it comes time for renewal.  If you only upload small sized photos, you may even be fine with the free storage. If you have a purchased plan, just remember,  you don’t have to change just because your plan is no longer available if you follow the rules.  Just be aware that the plans are changing and do your research to find the plan that is right for you.

Gratuitous bug on flower picture!!
daisies

17 comments:

  1. Thanks for the info, Donna. I've never had a picture account come up for renewal, so maybe I'm still using the free version and haven't filled it up yet. Also, thank you for the info about the campgrounds along the McKenzie Highway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donna, if you are a member of Google+ (it's free) then you automatically get "unlimited free storage" for all photos sized up to 2048 x 2048 pixels - that's a pretty good size for an uploaded photo.

    It's a great deal. I use it and the only photos that ever count against my Google limit are ones I upload over 2048 x 2048 and there are very, very few of those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good point Rick. As you can see from the screen shot, I have used very little of the storage I have paid for, but then I haven't uploaded the ton of photos I have on my hard drive either!! I only keep it because "someday" I am going to backup all my photos and I don't want to go through and resize all of them first. I keep thinking I will purge my photo files first but who am I kidding? I can barely keep up with the new photos I keep taking. For $20 bucks annual charge, it's a pretty good deal.

      Delete
  3. I should have added - the bottom line is if you are already a member of Google+, then there is probably no need to even renew the paid storage plan as you already have 'unlimited free storage' included with Google+ membership.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I usually reduce the size of photos before I upload. The main reason is that it's faster with an aircard and takes less bandwidth. Other than that all the other photos I have are stored on external drives. I love the picture of the bug and the flower.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just adding to Rick's suggestion. Picasa is free also. There is a limited but you can have as many accounts as you want.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe Picasa and Google web storage are now one and the same.

      Delete
  6. I still prefer to use my SmugMug account for all my photo storage, so I won't have to worry about this; thanks for the heads up though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have SmugMug too it just seems I never take the time to organize and upload my photos. I am slowly putting tags on all the old ones but it seems a thankless task (until I want to find something). Love digital photography but it sure has created a whole new set of issues.

      Delete
  7. I just have all my photos in folders on my computer under the Pictures file. Doesn't anyone else do that? Is it a storage issue when you get to the point where you have too many photos on your computer? Maybe I have a day of reckoning in my future. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use it as a back-up, off site storage, in case something happens to my hard drive.

      Delete
  8. Good catch Donna, they tried to sneak it by you, but the sun was already up on the west coast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya gotta get up pretty early on the East Coast to put one over on this ol'e gal, let me tell ya!!!

      Delete
  9. Good information to know, that's for the heads up.

    Kevin and Ruth
    www.travelwithkevinandruth.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I got that email too and hadn't gone as far into as you. THat was on my agenda for today. I had also thought about the free storage because of Google+, which I have. How to reconcile? That's on the agenda!!!! Rick seems to have the answer, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Don't lose your pictures! You take some beautiful ones and I love seeing them. Thanks for the heads up!
    Candy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great info. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete