April 2011

April 2011
Boondocking at my brother's in Reno, April 2011

Friday, March 16, 2012

Happens Every Year!

Sure as clockwork – about this time every year I start to go nuts.  Now don’t get me wrong – I LOVE Oregon and I wouldn’t want to live anywhere else, but the incessant rain and GRAY skies just get to me after awhile.  I was hoping to be able to see the light at the end of the tunnel when I went to check the 10 day forecast – HA!!  Not only do we have rain and gray skies for as far as the eye can see, we have a possibility of more snow.  If it snows it won’t amount to much but STILL!  Enough already.


weather


Spring break starts for my grands on the 23rd and that still shows rain and clouds – SIGH!  Sure hope we get some nice weather so we can do some fun things during spring break.


We are planning to take off on April 1 for parts unknown – well, almost.  We will do some traveling in Oregon.  There are so many things we have always wanted to visit and never have.  So we will be gone most of the month hopefully, and finally Therapy will be getting some exercise. 


Unfortunately, we have determined that Rusty will not be able to travel with us so I won’t go anywhere unless I can be home in less than 1 day.  Those of you who are not pet lovers may not understand but Rusty is my baby.  I have had him for nearly 15 years and I want to be here when he needs me.  He is fine with our house sitter but it is not like having his “mama” around.  And if things go south, I want to be able to get home to him in a hurry.  He has always been faithful to me and I will return the favor as he faces his final time.  He used to love to go with us but that time is over.  He just is not strong enough for the rigors of travel.


P1030147


So we will take some shorter and closer trips with Poppy for now and wait to see what the future holds.


I haven’t been very active at reading or writing blogs this week.  I got started on the Hunger Games trilogy and have spent a lot of time reading all three of those books and as a result have been fighting headaches all week.  Migraines are the bane of my existence and I know I need to not spend so much time reading or computing and yet I never seem to learn.  Oh well, we do what we gotta do!


hunger games


Although these books are billed as Young Adult books, I enjoyed them.  I personally think they are a bit too violent for young people but then with all the violent video games out there, I guess I am in the minority!  Anyway, the Hunger Games and the other two books in the series, Catching Fire, and Mockingjay, are interesting reads and they do make you think.  Although I do not go to the theater often, this is one that I want to see on the big screen.  It opens March 23rd.


Earlier in the week, we had a chance to meet up with Dave and Carol again.  Dave and Carol were the very first bloggers we ever met and we sure enjoy their company.  Had a nice lunch at Papa's Pizza (thank you Dave) and a great visit.  We only live a couple of hours apart so hopefully we will connect some over the summer.

21 comments:

  1. I hope you enjoy your travels around Oregon....even though it will possibly be raining...your life on the road will be full of sunshine.

    Just BS!(Bob and Sue)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, we know about older pets. I imagine Rusty will be happier sitting still. We don't like to leave our fluffies and go very far on a day trip, It just doesn't feel comfortable to be a long way away when there's no one at home to be sure everything's okay.

    Roxanne
    The Good Luck Duck

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our German shepherd died the weekend we drove up to northern California for our annual family reunion over Christmas. Actually, he lasted until we got home, saw us, and took his last breath. We were devastated. He had canine lupus and was wasting away. Our son stopped by to feed him and he finally just left him in the house as it was very cold at that time. I regret to this day that I didn't spend his last days with him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would not be wanting to look at that weather forecast. That is a total bummer!!! I thought my forecast was bad with 3 straight days of wet weather but nothing like yours.

    It must be difficult dealing with older pets like Rusty. They gave you so much and it is so wonderful that you can give back to them when they most need it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. so sorry to hear about Rusty..your heart is definitely in the right place I would feel the same way...our furkids are like our real kids...they become such a big part of our lives..enjoy your travels...be safe out there

    ReplyDelete
  6. I certainly understand. Our dog is getting older. We won't kennel her and won't leave her all day in the motorhome while we run around. In my opinion you definitely have your priorities in order. Our pets are family too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We would feel the same way if something was wrong with Bella. Rusty is part of your family. Even though you won't be able to travel too far from home, we hope you enjoyed each adventure! ~wheresweaver

    ReplyDelete
  8. I decided to read The Hunger Games series after I read some rave reviews. I enjoyed the series. I don't know if I will see the movie, though. I pictured it all in my head and I don't know if I want the scenario to come to life even more.

    Here's to many more visits with you and Russ, Donna! You are welcome to stop by here anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lucky for you, there is lots to see in Oregon, just a day away from Rusty if need be. We actually plan on ten days wandering around the Willamette Valley on our April trip, maybe heading for Silver Falls again, and the Oregon Garden blooms. I hear you about March, though, with a warm winter, March and April almost always bring snow and rain and dreary skies. Ugh. I'll let you know if we find any sun next week in California. Probably not from what I hear.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am sorry to hear about Rusty. I had my last dog for 16 years. He died while I was away from home and I don't think I will ever get over that. After a couple of years I got another dog and then another. They are now 10 and 5. I'm glad you get to travel but I'm proud of you for loving that furry family member. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Donna, I understand completely about Rusty. I felt the same about Lizzie, and feel the same about Jack. I'm just sorry that he's not well, but glad he has humans that love him enough to put him first. I'm putting off back surgery because Jack's not used to being left alone all day. My kids would take care of him, but they all work, and I worry, like you, that he'll need me. I wish him peaceful days surrounded by those he loves.

    I've heard that as beautiful as the northwest is (and as much as I love it), the weather gets to people. I guess that's only natural. Depression, etc., is more prevalent. Maybe one of those lamps would help!

    For the month or so that Rich and I would be there, and when I was there myself in 2010, the weather along the coast was just right so I can rave.

    ReplyDelete
  12. poor Rusty..it is so hard when our beloved pets get older..
    hang in there, April will be here before we know it..maybe the sun will shine this weekend?..
    tomorrow is suppose to be our best day of the weekend, so we will have to see if that darn weatherman is right!
    hugs to you both and a special pat one the head for Rusty..and Poppy too!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. We have friends who have put all of their international travel plans on hold because they don't want to take the chance of being too far from the home should the worst happen to their elderly beagle. I can understand.

    Hopefully, the weather will clear for your trip ... after a while, continuous gray gets to be depressing and who wants that on the road.

    ReplyDelete
  14. As fellow animal & especially dog lovers we sure do understand your feelings about Rusty. We experienced the heartache of watching our beloved Pals Max & Checkers age & then pass away within a week of each other nearly a year ago so we do understand the pain & sadness in your heart. The loving bond between ourselves as animal lovers & our pets is like no other. We wish all the best for you & may Rusty's remaining time be peaceful & kind.

    ReplyDelete
  15. While we have had more cats than dogs, it doesn't make any difference when it comes to loving them and being there for them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So sorry you're having lots of migraines. I used to get them, too, but gratefully haven't had many in recent years. I still get lots of headaches, but not migraines. Hope you can take some meds that ease them a bit.

    I also understand not being able to stop reading when the books are so good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. So sorry to hear that Rusty isn't doing so well. He's sure a good dog!

    That weather forecast looks pretty discouraging. Sure hope a little bit of sun manages to peek through.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I totally understand about Rusty. And, I totally understand about Oregon. When I lived there --- just four months --- I loved the mist and green of Oregon but after a while?

    This southern kiddo had to find some sunshine...

    T-Shirt slogan I remember is "If the rain is warm, it must be August" Haaa

    Beautiful place though and hopefully I will revisit it this year.

    ReplyDelete
  19. When we took off to fulltime we had our Black Lab Sparky who was 12. We was always an outside guy so traveling in a fiver surely was not an option. Luckily my daughter and SIL bought our house. They loved him as we did. 2 years later it was time to make a tough decision. We were glad they were there with him at the time.

    I understand you getting antsy this time of the year with the gray skies. For me back east it was waiting for the trees to green up. Those last few weeks prior to that were torturous.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I understand what you're going through, completely. We lived in Washington State for 10 years. We loved the summers but couldn't take the winters anymore which is why we are in Arizona now.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Good to hear you are going to give Therapy some exercise. Should be fun seeing some of the sites in your beautiful state. Sorry to hear Rusty's not up to going along.

    ReplyDelete