April 2011

April 2011
Boondocking at my brother's in Reno, April 2011

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Nostalgia, Grandkids, and Sedona


As I read some of the blogs with young grandchildren featured, like Gwenny and her recent visit with Grandma and Grandpa at RV Life on Wheels, I was remembering the times when my children and grandchildren were little.  I have 8 grandkids and the youngest will be 9 in just a few weeks.  The oldest is 23…can’t believe how fast the years have passed.  Chuck and Anneke are thinking about hanging a little closer to their little granddaughter, Victoria, and the antics of Karen and Stevio’s grandchildren are always fun to read about.  Dave and Carol welcomed their first grandbaby last year too.  And let’s not forget Sam and Donna at the Weeb ranch who always seems to have a grandchild or two underfoot.  There are so many others I could mention, all loving and enjoying their little grandkids.  It makes me nostalgic for the time when mine were all younger. 

I was thinking about some of the cute things the grands said when they were younger.   My sister and I have grandsons who are just a few weeks apart in age and they used to play together when they were younger.  When they were about 6 or 7 years old, my grandson, Michael,  fell and cut his head open on a rock and had to have staples put in to close the gash.  It was NOT a pretty sight.

Our family summer picnic was the weekend after this happened and my sister could not understand the reluctance on the part of her grandson, River, to play with Michael.  Finally she asked him why he was ignoring Michael and did not want to play with him.  “Well, Grandma,” said River with a serious look on his face, “You know how I feel about kids with staples in their heads.”  We shared a good laugh over that one, although to the boys, I am sure it was no laughing matter.

013_10A
Michael dressed for Halloween about age 7

One time Rebekah was staying with me and I was trying to encourage her in some healthier eating habits.  She was about 7 or 8 at the time.  That seems to be a good time to come up with some interesting things to say.  I used myself as the bad example of what will happen if you don’t eat healthy…you get fat like Grandma.  “But Grandma, you’re not fat,” said Bekah.  I assured her that she was being kind but that, yes, I was fat.  Not to be dissuaded from her opinion Bekah declared, “Well you’re not fat to ME!”  Bless her heart.

grandma and Bekah disney 2007
Bekah and Grandma at California Adventure Oct 2007

Now it seems those innocent days are mostly gone as the pre-teenaged grandkids are much more reasoned about what they say and when they say it.  I adore watching them grow and enjoy seeing the men the older ones have become.  But every once in a while, when I am reading blogs about little grandkids, I feel somewhat nostalgic and wish those precious years would last just a wee bit longer.  They are gone in a heartbeat. 

I guess I tend to feel nostalgic when we are in a holding pattern and unable to travel.  I was remembering our first trip to Sedona – this was pre-RV days.  It was April 2005 and we stayed in a beautiful house we found on VRBO.  It was just down the hill from the small Sedona airport and we had wonderful views of Coffee Pot Rock and other red rock formations, right from our front door.   I was looking at some of our pictures of that trip and put together a little video memory for us.  You can watch it if you like.  I really want to go back to that area.  It is so beautiful…more so than I can capture with a camera.



Okay, I’m going to quit with the nostalgia for now and get back to the present – and hopefully the future as well.  May if involve some travel!!

15 comments:

  1. Art Linkletter said it right, "Kids say the darnedest things."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed your little bit of nostalgia that you shared. Thanks for reminding us how fast those years do pass, nice post. Good picture of Russ on your header.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so enjoy reading about RVers and their grandchildren. Neither of our daughters, 26, 27, are married. Paul and I wonder if we will ever be grandparents. So for now, we will live a grandparents life through your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. kids do say the darndest things!..you have some great memories of when the kids were younger that even they will remember as they get older!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely video, Donna. You are so talented! Your grandkids will have some wonderful memories of you. I hope I can be a grandmother like you. Just even a little bit like you, would be good I think. Hope you get your health issues sorted out soon. Judy from Rvlifeonwheels

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for thinking of us and mentioning us in your post, We have never had an empty nest. Always had at least one Grand living with us, due to some family emergency, like now with Nicole and her parents not having a place of their own.Our motto has always been always room for one more here at the Ranch, if we run out of beds we'll empty out the bottom drawer of a chest of drawers and make room for a little one.Our youngest is 8 now and boy you are right they grow up fast.Enjoy it while you can. Be safe out there. Sam & Donna.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice post - that staples comment is so funny! You should submit it to Reader's Digest. Grandkids are the best.

    Sedona is such a beautiful area. I didn't stay, just drove through, but was awed by the beauty of the rock formations. Next time I'll plan to stay a bit and see more of the area.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for this post. I really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gotta love grandkids. We sure miss ours.

    Here I am a grandmom just having to tell a story on our 2 year old Abby. The week before we left NJ earlier in the month we had her and her sister for the weekend. A few days before she closed a door or something on her finger. There was still a little bruising. Several times she would tell us her finger "hurt". After a couple of times, hubby said to her "Abby, I don't know what to do about it". Her reply - "Go to boo boo dot com." WHAT??? Even 2 year olds think the answer to every problem is answered on the Internet???

    ReplyDelete
  10. grands are so wonderful....we sure do miss ours while travelling...thankfully skype eases the pain...but I sure wish they could be here with us..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post. You have wonderful Grandchildren and they have great Grandparents too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the shout-out, Donna. Even if we don't get to travel much in the future, at least we will have the good memories of past trips. And in the grandparent department, I hope we will someday have as many good memories as you do!

    ReplyDelete
  13. P.S. I thoroughly enjoyed your movie about Sedona. It was a nostalgic reminder of our trip there in 2009...except for the cacti poses! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Judy said what I was going to say, so I'll just say, thanks for the virtual trip back to Sedona. We were there in December 2001 and had a terrific time exploring the area. It's one of the places where we would like to spend a lot more time when we get on the road.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The grand kids are definitely the best attraction we have come across in our five plus years of full timing.

    As you note, it is a time limited event as they grow so fast.

    ReplyDelete