April 2011

April 2011
Boondocking at my brother's in Reno, April 2011

Saturday, August 20, 2011

We’re in Therapy!

We did it!  We loaded up the old tin wagon and hit the road.  Had a wonderful drive today and stopped for the night at the Culver KOA.  That’s about mid-way between Redmond and Madras on Hwy.97 in Oregon.  We are head north tomorrow for a five night stay at Deschutes State Park with some of Russ’s family. 

For a KOA, this place ain’t half bad!!  It has an interesting store and even some flowers in front.

P1040616

I have fun looking through little stores wherever I find them – even in KOAs.  This one had a little of everything – even artificial Christmas trees!

P1040619

They had lots of neat signs and one section just for grand parent signs.  They must get a lot of Boomers in here!  Click to enlarge the picture and you can read some of the signs.  They were clever but I didn’t buy any.
P1040620


The surface roads in the park are hard packed crushed rock with grass, a picnic table, and a fire ring at every site.  The sites are typical for a commercial campground but we did not feel crowded.  We paid $37 for FHU.

P1040608 
They had an ice cream social tonight – $1 a scoop - so we all had some.  Poppy was upset over the smell of fire and wouldn’t eat hers but Rusty made short work of his vanilla ice cream cone.

It has been years since we have been over this way and I have never been past Redmond on hwy 97.  And Redmond has certainly changed from the way I remember it.  We didn’t explore, just drove on through, but we plan to come back next month and have a closer look.  It was an attractive small town, from what I could see, with a population of just over 26K.  It seemed clean and well kept and just had a nice “feel” to it.  I liked being able to see the mountains and the wide open spaces.  Although I love the greenery and all the trees in Eugene, there is something about wide open vistas that is also appealing.

I probably won’t have internet the next several days so if you don’t hear from me, know that I will be having a great time just kicking back and taking it easy.  I’ll see ya all on the flip-side.

16 comments:

  1. Sounds like Russ is on to something...campfire cologne = extra scoops forever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Know what you mean by wide open spaces. For half the year we live in a forest surrounded by trees & the other half the year we love the wide open spaces of the Southwest. Kinda the best of both worlds I guess. Enjoy your Therapy session:))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you got a chance to get away... Have fun and don't worry we'll be here when you get back!!!
    Have fun & Travel safe
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are going to have such a fun time. Enjoy, relax and we'll read about it when you get back. Have a great time!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hit the road! See the scenery. Hike the trails, swim the lakes, climb the mountains. Then tell us all about it with a lot of words and pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's my kind of 'therapy' - glad to see you're enjoying your camping trip and that you have wifi!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have a good time and relax!

    I never gave my dogs ice cream. Well I did once with my first Lab and it gave her the runs so bad (in the house) that I never gave her another lick!

    She could tolerate frozen Yogurt however, and always had her own cone ))

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoy your time in "therapy!" Looking forward to hearing all about your latest adventure in therapy!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have a great "session" and leave all the worries behind!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad you're "on the road." And another longer trip coming soon. Have a great time! Can't wait to hear about it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good thing you have a couch with you for your therapy. :) The name of your new motorhome always makes me smile. That kind of therapy we could all use--travels, sightseeing, and the journey itself!

    ReplyDelete
  12. glad to hear you are both back in 'therapy'!!..have a great time..sit back and relax!

    ReplyDelete
  13. RV'ing is a good therapy isn't it? Cures all kinds of ailments.

    ReplyDelete
  14. At one time KOA's were the premiere campgrounds - or so I thought. Most of them are now overpriced and leave a lot to be desired.

    Glad you found a good one for your little trip. RELAX and ENJOY!

    ReplyDelete